2014 Annual Convention June 5-8, 2014 Western North Carolina

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

NANFA President Fritz Rohde will be the host. He has arranged for us to stay at the NC Forest Service Training Facility in Crossnore, NC, very close to Linville Falls and about 30 minutes south of Boone. The cost is very reasonable to stay at this facility. There are motels and campgrounds nearby. The schedule is slightly different from previous conventions. Arrival on Thursday, but on Friday there will not be any talks, just leisurely collecting/snorkeling in the area followed by the "banquet" and auction. Saturday and Sunday will be collecting/snorkeling etc. One other change is, due to the trash talking between Fritz and Matt DeLaVega, after the KY meeting, there will be a collecting challenge between two teams, led by Matt and Dustin Smith. Space will be limited on these teams but more leisurely collecting will also be offered..

The location is ideally situated for diversity. The Catawba, New, and Nolichucky (French Broad) basins are all within easy driving distance.

More details will be in American Currents.

#2 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:11 PM

Awesome, I can't wait!

I suppose I'll jump on Matt's team, so I can out-species our president 2 years in a row!

#3 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:39 PM

I'm looking forward to this! Now if my bad schedule mojo will just hold off a year...
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#4 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

I'm going ahead and marking this on my calendar. I'll be done with school by then, hopefully a job won't interfere. I want to be there for this!

#5 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:20 AM

My time off resets next month, hopefully I can make it.

Just when I said I wanted a convention that was North, I didn't expect it to be followed by Carolina. :)

#6 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

Great location!

#7 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:30 AM

Josh - to keep things equal, the 2 captains will take turns picking their team. BUT I will let Matt pick first. :biggrin: You'll be on my turf this time.

#8 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

I can't wait! Fritz are you bringing a shocker? Or was that supposed to be a surprise? Woops...

#9 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

My time off resets next month, hopefully I can make it.

Just when I said I wanted a convention that was North, I didn't expect it to be followed by Carolina. :)

You just have to thank about species diversity. One drainage in this area has more fish species than most Northern states combined.

#10 Guest_clemsons2k_*

Guest_clemsons2k_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

I'll have to mark my calendar, sounds like a great time!

#11 Guest_EBParks_*

Guest_EBParks_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

I'm definitely in!

#12 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

Northwest NC river map and fish species list by basin

Attached Files

#13 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:51 PM

Yep, those who sign up for the challenge will be chosen like grade school kickball. Fritz is basically Dustin's expert taxonomist. I shall be provided one as well. I think I should get get the first two picks, as this Dustin/Fritz team is just unfair by nature. Way too symbiotic. I don't even know who my guy will be. Can I get Dave Neely? This is going to be way too much fun, no matter the outcome!

#14 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:38 AM

Northwest NC river map and fish species list by basin

Posted Image

That's a lot of fish

#15 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

Are we allowed to call "dibs" on any of those species? [-o<
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#16 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

Are we allowed to call "dibs" on any of those species? [-o<

You just tell us what you want and how many and mine and Fritz's team will deliver. If you want Gambusia and tadpoles, I am sure the other team can provide, as long as you don't need many....

#17 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

So what that fish list tells me is that anyone who wants to catch any fish that has ever existed should come to this convention, correct?

#18 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:57 PM

Oh Heavens No! That's the just the pared-down species list of the NC northern mountains and western Piedmont. I deleted all the species from the southwest mountains (Little Tennessee, Hiwassee, Savannah basins), the eastern Piedmont (middle & lower Roanoke, lower PeeDee, Cape Fear, Neuse, and Tar basins), and all the Coastal Plain & Sandhills river basins.

So what that fish list tells me is that anyone who wants to catch any fish that has ever existed should come to this convention, correct?

That means a lot, coming from a KY boy ...

That's a lot of fish

#19 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

You just tell us what you want and how many and mine and Fritz's team will deliver. If you want Gambusia and tadpoles, I am sure the other team can provide, as long as you don't need many....

We can also provide you with a multitude of crayfish, and hellgrammites.

#20 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

Good, I can use a dunkleosteous, maybe some conodonts. If only my tank was big enough for a megalodon. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users