Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:51 AM

http://www.loaches.c...manifold-design

#2 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2007 - 09:01 AM

That is pretty much the exact same design I use for various stream or river dwelling fish. It works quite well but often takes some tweaking on the part of the designer and builder to work just right. I would suggest using more intakes than powerheads and over power the system rather than go light with the flow.

Below is an example from one of my Catfish tanks:

Attached Files

#3 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2007 - 10:01 AM

Wow that setup should work nicely for larger fishes. I think in my case a lot of what I'm into would just go right through the egg crate. :mrgreen:

Yeah I do think he went light on the flow rate. But he was going in the right direction.

Do you have any pics of the finished tank with fish in it?

Any problems with beads of foam breaking off and getting consumed by fish or clogging the powerhead?

#4 Guest_TheBloodyIrish_*

Guest_TheBloodyIrish_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2007 - 11:05 AM

Any problems with beads of foam breaking off and getting consumed by fish or clogging the powerhead?

Syrofoams are common for creating 3D background, you cover them in epoxy to prevent them from chipping off.

Anyawy, interesting concept. I should consider going that route for my stream tank.

#5 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2007 - 11:27 AM

Wow that setup should work nicely for larger fishes. I think in my case a lot of what I'm into would just go right through the egg crate. :mrgreen:

Yeah I do think he went light on the flow rate. But he was going in the right direction.

Do you have any pics of the finished tank with fish in it?

Those pics are from when I was building the tank. All the plumbing Styrofoam etc are now fully hidden. The stryofoam background and sides were covered up with concrete.

This pic shows a bit better what it looks looks like today:
Attached File  vandellia60.jpg   30.21KB   14 downloads

There is an entire thread about how this tank was constructed here:
http://aquaticpredat...showtopic=27956

#6 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:16 PM

There is an entire thread about how this tank was constructed here:
http://aquaticpredat...showtopic=27956

Wow that is just gorgeous.

Just a suggestion, but I think that this would make for a wonderful article for American Currents.

#7 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:21 PM

Wow that is just gorgeous.

Just a suggestion, but I think that this would make for a wonderful article for American Currents.

I'm just about to set up a 45 gallon tank in a similiar manner for Mountain Red belly dace as well as a 360 gallon for brook trout at my work...Might just write up an article for one of these tanks.

#8 Guest_TurtleLover_*

Guest_TurtleLover_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2007 - 04:05 PM

Brookies are beautiful fish. I would like to see pics that tank when you're done with it.

#9 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:24 PM

Thanks a lot Brooklamprey you actually made it seem like I could pull it off myself. Absolutely stunning display. But now I'm gonna have to do a whole lota home repair jobs or my tanks will look way nicer then my house. Don't think my wife will appreciate that.

#10 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2007 - 09:55 PM

Thanks a lot Brooklamprey you actually made it seem like I could pull it off myself. Absolutely stunning display. But now I'm gonna have to do a whole lota home repair jobs or my tanks will look way nicer then my house. Don't think my wife will appreciate that.

Really doing a tank like this is very easy. All it really takes is a bit of attention to details, a working knowledge of materials and a bit of artistry. The one thing I have to stress is make sure it works exactly as you want it to work before going far with it. Test and then retest everything to make sure flow is right on and where you want it, especially if using the above design like I have done.

In using external filtration and pumps things are much more forgiving but still be very sure of where you want the flow at and how that affects each area of the tank. Before laying cement down add in extras you think you may just need if you change species or want to adjust anything. Really over do the intake portion of the tank. You can cap the extras if you do not need them but you are really up the creek if you do not think of this early on and then need them. Same for output points add a couple even if not being used.

#11 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2007 - 02:30 PM

Nice setup, Richard -- did you have to use any sort of sealant on the concrete before adding the fish?

#12 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2007 - 02:41 PM

Nice setup, Richard -- did you have to use any sort of sealant on the concrete before adding the fish?

The concrete was acid and salt cured and then a coat of concrete waterproofing sealent was applied.

#13 Guest_TheBloodyIrish_*

Guest_TheBloodyIrish_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2007 - 07:05 PM

Nice.

Is there an alternative to concrete for making realistic designs like this?

#14 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2007 - 07:30 PM

Nice.

Is there an alternative to concrete for making realistic designs like this?

There are some epoxy resins and polyurethane foams that can be used, but these are much more difficult to work with than the vynil patch concrete formula. The resins and polyurethane foam are best used with a mold for repeated manufacture. For a single shot tank with a specific goal in mind it is not really worth their cost or the time and effort one must take to use them.

#15 Guest_TheBloodyIrish_*

Guest_TheBloodyIrish_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2007 - 10:31 PM

I am guessing there is no real alternative to create the rocky texture that cement has beside mixing silicon or epoxy with sand and gravel. I also read that hobby cement also work without having worrying about it cracking or becoming brittle.

I know that professionals use Thorite and Meflex, but I have no idea how much they would cost.

#16 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:17 PM

I am guessing there is no real alternative to create the rocky texture that cement has beside mixing silicon or epoxy with sand and gravel. I also read that hobby cement also work without having worrying about it cracking or becoming brittle.

I know that professionals use Thorite and Meflex, but I have no idea how much they would cost.

Thorite acryl is the exact same thing I use just under a different brand name(quickrete vynil patch). I'm not familiar with meflex.

#17 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:02 PM

Brook - Any chance you could do a talk/demo of this at the Greensboro NC convention June 8-10 ?? Gerald

Thorite acryl is the exact same thing I use just under a different brand name(quickrete vynil patch). I'm not familiar with meflex.

#18 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:35 PM

Brook - Any chance you could do a talk/demo of this at the Greensboro NC convention June 8-10 ?? Gerald

Sure..I would have no problem giving a workshop on how to set one of these up.

#19 Guest_rddj_*

Guest_rddj_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:07 PM

That's an awesome setup need to use that for turtle tank. :smile:

#20 Guest_factnfiction101_*

Guest_factnfiction101_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2007 - 03:30 AM

That is amazing! I never have seen an aquarium that looks that good :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users