North Dallas (White Rock Creek) Collecting Hotspots

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_LoneStarGus_*

Guest_LoneStarGus_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:07 AM

Finding good spots to fish for natives in Dallas County isn't easy, thanks to the amount of human development in the area. Surprisingly, though, if you know where to look, chances are pretty good that you'll be rewarded with a bounty of native fish. The following is a list of my favorite fishing locales, most of which are in some way connected to white rock creek.

White Rock Creek at Valley View Park- My absolute favorite place to catch shiners, this stretch of white rock creek is a hotbed for natives. Stonerollers, blacktail and red shiners, along with longears, largemouth, madtoms, and frog tadpoles are common sights on the mostly bedrock-bottomed creek. The geology here is pretty neat here as well, with grooves carved by years of continuous flow running along the creekbed like little canyons.

Upper Jackson Branch of White Rock Creek - If you want to catch sunfish or blackstripes, this is your creek. It's not easily accessible (The best way to reach my favorite spot is by walking underneath the Royal lane crossing) but it's worth it. The water runs clear, and there's plenty of structure for fish to hide out in.

White Rock Creek at Greenville Crossing- Another good spot for shiners, I collected all the substrate for my native shiner tank from the banks of this portion of White Rock Creek.

Olive Shapiro Park- bring a Kayak if you want to get some good collecting done.

#2 Guest_bbrown_*

Guest_bbrown_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

Just curious, what species of madtom do you find in white rock creek?

#3 Guest_LoneStarGus_*

Guest_LoneStarGus_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

The only madtom I've seen are freckled madtom, but there might be tadpole madtom in more turbid parts of the creek. That's assuming that they are actually freckled madtom, and not black bullhead or channel cats. I haven't had much luck in spotting catfish, much less identifying them.

Thankfully, I'm not the only person who fishes the creek: http://bluegillonthe...-part-deux.html

Edited by LoneStarGus, 12 July 2013 - 01:10 PM.

#4 Guest_NickMDal_*

Guest_NickMDal_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:58 PM

Hi LoneStarGus. I'm very interested in whiterock creek wildlife. Can I ask how you catch natives. Am hoping to land O:) a small stoneroller and maybe one pretty shiner.

Our tank is this: http://www.aquaticpl...html#post750018 We have 3 beautiful silversides and a single topminnow, all caught with a dip net. I usually kayak up jackson branch and have tried a 3/8" casting net. Only caught threadfin shad, young yellow bass and a green sunfish.

How did you catch those marvelous creatures?

Thanks for the tip about Valley View Park. Sounds wonderful. Think I'll head over there tomorrow. Whiterock is such a treasure for us Dallasites!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users