Rosyside Dace?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_clemsons2k_*

Guest_clemsons2k_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

Another fish that I caught out behind my parent's place. If this guy is a rosyside dace then that makes 4 confirmed species and 2 unconfirmed species of fish in that tiny creek :) Sorry for the blury picture, it jumped out of my hand before I could snap a new one.

Posted Image

#2 Guest_clemsons2k_*

Guest_clemsons2k_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

I came to my guess based on the distrubution map and picture in Freshwater Fishes of South Carolina. Seems to be the only species that fits.

#3 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

Yes, Rosyside Dace.

#4 Guest_clemsons2k_*

Guest_clemsons2k_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:35 PM

Awesome thanks! It amazes me that so many different species of fish are residing in that tiny creek.

Now I just need to catch and photograph the other two fish that I've spotted there. My brother caught some species of sunfish but I haven't seen it in person yet so I can't speculate. And unless I'm imagining things I saw a few darters, but the little dudes are too quick for me.

Edited by clemsons2k, 12 July 2013 - 08:36 PM.

#5 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

Well I can speculate for you ... green sunfish! They're amazingly good at ascending tiny tribs, and will even go up intermittent streams and get stranded in puddles. Redbreasts and bluegills can live in some mighty small creeks too, but greens are the best at exploiting headwaters. For darters in your area, tesselated and fantail are probably the most likely in little headwater creeks.

My brother caught some species of sunfish but I haven't seen it in person yet so I can't speculate. And unless I'm imagining things I saw a few darters, but the little dudes are too quick for me.

#6 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

Very cool! That's a neat little fish I have yet to see in person. I can vouch for Gerald's speculation. I live about 1 1/2 hours south of you. My favorite local stream is pretty small. Behind my gramma's place (96 and the ol' girl's goin' strong!) it might get up to 5' wide. I've taken redbreast sunnies, largemouth bass, tesselated darters, and greenhead shiners just dipnetting on my own. A couple miles further downstream it might get to be 10 - 15' wide. Northern hogsuckers, yellow bullhead, flat bullhead, greenhead shiners, creek chubs, bluehead chubs, redbreast sunfish, green sunfish, Carolina darters, and tessellated darters have all turned up in my dipnet. I'd bet you've got at least a couple of those in there. Especially the chubs, green sunnies, redbreasts, and tessellateds. Those guys seem to be everywhere! (Which is great because the sunnies are pretty and while the tessies plain, they are very curious fish.) Have fun finding them, and let us know who you got. I'm curious to see the similarity and difference between inhabitants. My end of the Piedmont is almost coastal plain; you're a lot closer to being Blue Ridge...
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#7 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:37 PM

Darters could be Seagreen Darters up that way too.

Edited by sbtgrfan, 13 July 2013 - 06:37 PM.

#8 Guest_clemsons2k_*

Guest_clemsons2k_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

Whats the best way to catch darters besides a seine? They seem a bit too smart or just quick for dip netting. I could try a minnow trap I suppose.

#9 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

For darters, there really is no substitute for a seine. You can use a dipnet in small riffles, and disturb the substrate upstream by kicking, and lifting rocks. Also, you can stomp around in pools, and really muddy up the water. The darters will be less likely to see a dipnet coming at that point.

#10 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

Use your dipnet just like a seine. Set it into the substrate a little (eeasy to do it you have a flat frame like the perfect dipnet) and shuffle towards it. you will get some stones and maybe a darter or two. You are not covering a lot of area, so your results will be a little more hit and miss than a seine, but it works.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#11 Guest_clemsons2k_*

Guest_clemsons2k_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

Typically I do use my net in a seine-like fashion. Its just sometimes difficult to get the fish to go into it when they also have 3 feet of water to choose from on either side of the net, haha.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users