Id help?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_SushiinmyPocket_*

Guest_SushiinmyPocket_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

Caught in a minnow trap with bread near Coe Hill Ontario in a stream into lighthouse lake

Attached Files

#2 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

Common Shiner (Luxilus cornutus). Look at the shape of the scales behind the gills. See how they are tall and narrow? That's how you tell it's a Luxilus.

#3 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

Here's what common shiners look like in breeding color -- quite spectacular despite their unassuming name:

http://forum.nanfa.o...id/#entry108443

#4 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:27 PM

Just out of curiosity, outside of breeding colors and possibly size, how does one tell the difference between Common and Crescent shiners? The above pictures look very similar to crescents, then again, I haven't encountered too many of either species in person before.

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:21 PM

range maps...?
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:47 PM

range maps...?

Ditto.

#7 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:11 AM

Sure, ok in most cases, but I've caught them both in Virginia. So in places they both occur, physically what is a difference?

#8 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:34 AM

There are definitely places in the James drainage where they overlap. Even small crecent shiners have a pretty distinct pink to their fins. Also, the name "crescent shiner" refers to the dark crescents of darkened scales along the side of the fish. Common shiners sometimes have a FEW dark patches, but crescents have lots of these. Crescents also have red around the mouth, commons typically don't (I suspect the red mouth of the one in the photo is physical trauma). White shiners usually have a little red around the mouth, but typically don't have any crescents. Whites are in the New & Roanoke, but not the James, While commons are only in the James and north.

#9 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

Thank you

#10 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:45 AM

No problem. If we ever end up with albeolus and cornutus in the same drainage, then we may have a little of a headache on our hands.

#11 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

If you come to the NANFA meeting next June in NC, the Dan River basin has both whites and crescents, and I've never had trouble distinguishing them. Like Derek says the crescents are distinctly pink, even at 1.5 inch. White vs common would be a whole lot trickier - they're nearly identical.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users