Conasauga denizens

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_trygon_*

Guest_trygon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

These images are from the Conasauga River, Polk county, Tennessee 072813.

Attached File  hd1.jpg   91.85KB   5 downloads

Attached File  bd1.jpg   130.13KB   4 downloads

Attached File  br1.jpg   106.04KB   0 downloads

Attached File  d2.jpg   154.02KB   2 downloads

Attached File  bamashine.jpg   81.82KB   2 downloads
Please note the spot at the base of the caudal peduncle on this male Alabama shiner, Cyprinella callista, notice that about half of it is covered in scales; a useful diagnostic to differentiate it from the tricolor shiner, Cyprinella trichroistia. Thanks to Casper and Dave for this.

An exercise for newbies. If you have any questions as to the identity of the above fishes check out The Fishes of Tennessee or Peterson's. I've already given you the locality.

Bryce

#2 Guest_velvetelvis_*

Guest_velvetelvis_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:02 PM

Beautiful pictures! What's the plant in the second one? Looks a little bit like C. demersum growing horizontally.

#3 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:10 PM

Holiday
Bronze
Blackbanded ( you must have been down near 411, as i never see Blackbandeds at the snorkel hole. )
Coosa
Bama
Nice photos indeed. I have been noting how blood red the anal fin is on Holidays as compared to the rest of their red body markings. The Coosas are new to me at the snorkel site this year. I gotta find another Speckled to tune my eye. It is interesting how the fauna changes a bit year to year.
The plant Elvis is River Weed, a dense moss that carpets many of the rocks. Darters love picking at it. I know of no one who has been able to "grow" it in aquariums.

#4 Guest_trygon_*

Guest_trygon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:35 PM

Thanks guys. Elvis, google Podostemum sp. to find out more about riverweed. Casper, never say never, snorkel hole for all the above. How was the Hiwassee?

#5 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:02 PM

Nice photos, Bryce!

#6 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:14 AM

I have been thinking about this the last few days while creeping along the banks of the snorkel hole. I am now convinced you photoshopped that Blackbanded into the "Snorkel Hole".
:)
The snorkel hole does not have enough submerged or overhanging woody debris... which seems to be the flowing habitat they prefer. Jim tells me he has seen them just downstream of the entry point, where the small cold stream runs into the Conasauga. Very shallow for a fat man though. I think my boss needs bigger glasses, sometimes those Bronzes can look a bit like Blackbandeds.
3 River Reds have moved into the pool, i got a nice picture of one's blood red tail and will get it posted soon enough.
You better get a picture of those predatory Stripped Bass soon, permits and recipes are being issued for a skilled hungry man weilding a speargun.
Hiwassee posting is at...

http://forum.nanfa.o...357#entry109357

Excellent pictures, now get into the Little before it's too late.

#7 Guest_trygon_*

Guest_trygon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:18 AM

Sorry Casper, I don't use Photoshop. I got him right in the middle of the stream, where the holidays and bronzes live. I'm going to try the Litlle River this weekend. Nice photos turtleman.

#8 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

He was lost.
:)
or just passing through.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users