Grass Shrimp Reproducing in Full Freshwater?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

Hello everyone, so I've been thinking about stocking grass shrimp in my pond which is nearly done, but I know that I have read the grass shrimp require heightened salinity for their young to develop, but I frequently catch them in the Mississippi up here in MN, so how can they be reproducing here?

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

They reproduce in freshwater. No problem stocking them in a pond, but if you want a viable population you will need lots of plants, and hides. I would stock them prior to fish to let them get a jump on reproduction.

#3 Guest_EricaLyons_*

Guest_EricaLyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:59 PM

I agree that they breed in freshwater. I've bred them multiple times. Mine bred in my DH 6 freshwater 10 gallon tank in 2007, my DH 6 freshwater 55 gallon tank in 2010 (confirmed surviving fry made it to adulthood), and in my high DH 75 gallon cichlid tank earlier this year (2013). They're carnivores, is what a lot of people don't realize. The ones in my 10 gallon tank bred after eating physa fontinalis snails. The male (smaller, narrow tail) chases the female around (larger, wider tail base) and hops on. I got some pictures but they're back from 2007 and I'm not sure where they are anymore. Most recently in my Tanganyikan cichlid tank they bred again. Here's a video of the green colored eggs she had attached to her when she first came from the Pet Supermarket tank:

She got eggs again after being in the high DH water. They're very flexible creatures; they don't really care about water hardness. They will hop out if you have ammonia though, heads up. They love floating plants and stop vacating the tank if you have them.

I think they would do well in a pond (as long as other things don't eat them).

#4 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:52 PM

Oh, sounds great! Thank you very much!

#5 Guest_biggreenavalanche_*

Guest_biggreenavalanche_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

They grow like crazy in my pond...plenty of vegetation though...

Rich

#6 Guest_Stickbow_*

Guest_Stickbow_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:25 PM

Dredging this up - I've got grass shrimp breeding in my community tank with Gambusia, P. hypselopterus, and H. Formosa. The babies aren't surviving, since the fish eat them, but the shrimp are breeding.

Some species would have to breed in freshwater - some live in landlocked waters, like my mother-in-law's pond in Brooks County, GA.

#7 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 22 September 2014 - 01:50 PM

This thread is kinda old but, I have succesfully bred ghost shrimp in a fw aquarium a couple times, I have also tried the bw route, it works but you need a fully established fish-less bw tank to have enough natural food, they will eat daphnia I think.

#8 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 22 September 2014 - 01:55 PM

They also will eat green water while small.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users