First Try with Tanago Hooks

31 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

So, I tried my tanago hooks for the first time the other day. Didn't do too bad but quickly realized that the biggest frustration with these hooks is tying the line. I got the presnelled hooks but tying them to the line is like trying to tie a knot in a strand of hair. Next time I go I will tie up several beforehand to save myself time and patience. I was using a regular light weight pole and so I had to get a lot closer than I would have like to the fish and scared away a lot of the topminnows but I just bought a crappie pole yesterday so planning on making another trek tomorrow. I ended up catching a lot of redfin shiners, and small sunfish. I took some photos of the shiners. I caught one minnow that I wasn't sure about. I'm thinking bluntnose minnow but I'm not sure. These first two photos are of the same minnow that I need help Iding.IMG_1007.JPG IMG_1006.JPG These next two are just a couple of the redfins I caught. IMG_1005.JPG IMG_1004.JPG I'll post some pics tomorrow if I'm successful.

#2 Guest_EricaLyons_*

Guest_EricaLyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

What size hook did you use and how did you bait it?

#3 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:32 PM

I used the Tanago half moon fishing hooks. I put the link below where I got the hooks from. I just used the tiniest piece of nightcrawler I could get on the hook. The total length of the hook is like 1/4 of an inch so it's really tiny. http://www.tenkarabu...hing-hooks.html

#4 Guest_EricaLyons_*

Guest_EricaLyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:47 PM

Wow that's tiny. I had thought what I did was microfishing, but that hook is way smaller (and probably way better) than what I used. Neat. :) I'm also noticing a difference in how it's bent versus other hooks. I bet that helps the fish get it in their mouth *nods*

#5 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

Nice! There are a lot of microfishers who dream of catching redfin shiners. The noses on your first two minnows have a certain bluntness to them. That should help with their ID.

#6 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:12 AM

So, I'm assuming my id of bluntnose minnow is correct?

#7 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:15 AM

Oh, and redfins are everywhere down here. They look awesome.

#8 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:14 AM

Went out again this morning and had some more success. Caught lots of juvenile longear and green sunfish and a bunch more redfin shiners IMG_1046.JPG and my first blackstripe topminnow! IMG_1045.JPG

#9 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:52 PM

So, I was looking at my photos and the fish I kept and I'm thinking that the shiner I have in the picture is an emerald shiner.

#10 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

I caught some actual redfins but I think the one in the photo is an emerald shiner.

#11 Guest_CMStewart_*

Guest_CMStewart_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:24 PM

I got the presnelled hooks but tying them to the line is like trying to tie a knot in a strand of hair.

That's what the tippet connectors are for. You don't have to tie any knot in the very fine snell.

#12 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

I'd say that's a female redfin, not an emerald. The scales, body depth, head shape, and mouth shape are what stand out to me.

#13 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:51 PM

Looks Lythrurus to me.

#14 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

That's what the tippet connectors are for. You don't have to tie any knot in the very fine snell.

I ordered some micro-hooks less than 24 hours ago. Just before learning this useful hint. Oh well.

#15 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:22 PM

When I put them into the tank though they showed this stripe on the sides and they had a slight green hue instead of blue. I've kept male and female redfins and these aren't either one they really look like emeralds in the tank

#16 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

More pictures couldn't hurt. :)

Take a look at the size of the scales on your fish. Here is an emerald shiner.
Posted Image

And here is a female redfin shiner.
Posted Image

#17 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

I stand corrected.

#18 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

They look extremely similar though

#19 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

I went back out this morning to what I thought would be a great new place. Turns out the road that leads to this creek isn't a road at all but a path that I'm pretty sure would have been illegal to drive on since it was a state park. So, I drove around the countryside till I found what looked to be a promising creek. Turned out to be nothing but lots of baby bluegill and green sunfish. Did catch one tiny largemouth though. Other than that, kind of a bust of a morning.

#20 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:03 AM

NANFA is on the first page of Google results for "Tanago hooks" now. Good publicity I hope.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users