Durable wading boots

20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:32 PM

I learned of these boots at this years NANFA convention http://www.simmsfish...stone-boot.html

Matt Thomas, and Stephanie Brandt wear these boots, and they are in the field 70% of their time at work. That is a lot of time in the water. They have both gotten over three years of wear out of their current pairs.

The boots have a "sticky" rubber, but they also use these studs http://www.simmsfish...am-20-puck.html

I have always had felt soled wading boots, but am glad to move away from felt. I was skeptical at first, but after buying a pair, I am convinced. These are some seriously good boots. In the past, I was lucky to get one season out of a pair of wading boots. It did not seem to matter if they were $30 or $100. So I stayed with the cheap ones.

I am now looking forward to getting many years of service out of a single pair of boots. If they last over 3 years for a person kick seining on an almost daily basis, I may get 6 years or maybe more.

The studs were a bit difficult to install with the tool provided, but after the first stud, I chucked a 1/4 inch nut driver into a screw gun, and made short work of it.

I recently broke them in on some Smoky mountain streams, and the rubber and studs seemed to perform equally as well as felt. If you know Smoky mountain streams you know that if you do not have felt, you had better have knee and elbow pads, and a helmet to boot. Also several states have banned the use of felt due to Didymo.

Anyway I thought this might be useful to those of you looking for a durable pair of wading boots.

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:49 PM

Thanks for that one, Matt. I just spent a week in the smokies, and my normal footwear (surfing booties) was NOT up to the task.

#3 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:36 AM

Thanks for sharing, Matt. I got a pair of these this spring and so far they seem much higher quality and durability than anything else I've gotten for the price.

#4 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:35 AM

You can't go wrong with Simms footware. We use these (Headwaters or Rivershed model) with our field crews. I have had pairs last me up to two plus field seasons and that means lots of kicking rocks and wood for macroinvertebrate sampling, hiking with backpack shockers, miles upon miles of wading, you name it. I'd guess a minimum of 100 days of field use per year. For even the active collector you will get years out of these boots. What eventually wore out on mine was the rubber from all the miles and bug sampling. Patagonia and Cloudvale in similar styles lasted less than a few months.

#5 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:39 AM

I'll also chime in that the Simms boots are the best. When I started doing stream work, I went through three pairs of Cabela's boots in two months (good thing they have a good exchange policy). After that, I bought the Simms boots that lasted me all through grad school (insanely heavy sampling) and over a year into professional work. Well worth the money.

#6 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

Glad to hear all of the positive responses. I just wish I had found these ten years ago.

#7 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:49 AM

You can also have Simms boots re-soled. So if the vibram rubber wears to a point you are slipping and the boots are good, you've saved some money.

Patagonia actually stopped honoring their warranty, and shortly after stopped making the model of boot, after we were returning them after 3-months of field work.

#8 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

Do you recommend Simms waders to go along with the boots, or do cheaper options work?

#9 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

I have had some Bass pro waders, and they wore out quick. I have not tried Simms. But I have a friend who works at Patagonia, and gave me a pair. They are 7 years old, and showing virtually no wear. So I think you get what you pay for.

#10 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:38 PM

Ordered these Simms waders on clearance from Bass Pro. Price seems pretty reasonable.

http://www.basspro.c...12080705121734/

#11 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

Kind of amusing - I see BPS sells squirrel tails. They SELL them, haha! Like it's so hard to find a squirrel to shoot.

#12 Guest_JasonGoneFishing_*

Guest_JasonGoneFishing_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

I use Camo Lacrosse Knee Boots. I'm usually the kicker, we are out all day and I'm not a fan of getting my feet wet :) They have lasted 2 years so far, no leaks.

#13 Guest_sschluet_*

Guest_sschluet_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:22 PM

Nice write up Matt. I concur with the kudos to these boots. I get a couple years out of them and they provide excellent ankle support. Be prepared to replace the laces....

#14 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:24 PM

I wanted to update this thread. I told my wife that I wanted these for Christmas and she went out and found the Simms Headwaters Boots normally $150 for $90 at an online spot www.jans.com

They cam today and look amazing... but now I have to wait til Christmas
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#15 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

You will be happy. If she did not get you the studs, get them. Really, they are comparable to felt, when it comes to traction. I am tickled to death with mine, and think they should be regulation NANFA footwear. Predrill for the studs with a 1/16" bit. Screw them in with a 1/4 inch nut driver. The studs come with a key to screw them in, but if you have tools, pitch the key in the trash, and use the advanced tech. instead.

Edit: for the studs, I would like to see someone use plain zip screws. 1/2 inch in length, with 1/4 inch hex heads. From a local hardware store. About a dollar versus about $20 if I recall. If they do not grab, take them out, and use the real studs. I should have tried this off the bat, but had just gotten a decent check, and felt like blowing money. :unsure:

#16 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:01 PM

I've done a few trips with mine (ordered in Sept, see above). They're fantastic, great ankle support and relatively comfortable in the toes after a day of kicking rocks.

#17 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:03 PM

she bought some bigger stud thing called a cleat... also goes in with a screw...?
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#18 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:11 PM

I'm not big on promoting brands, but I got 4 or 5+ years out of the Cabela's three forks waders (back when they were $35).
I used these when I had much more time to spend in the water and beat them up good. I was very happy to replace them at double the price.

#19 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:20 PM

she bought some bigger stud thing called a cleat... also goes in with a screw...?

Yes, from what I have seen. Many use a mixture of studs and cleats, probably the best way to go.

#20 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:28 PM

I'm not big on promoting brands, but I got 4 or 5+ years out of the Cabela's three forks waders (back when they were $35).
I used these when I had much more time to spend in the water and beat them up good. I was very happy to replace them at double the price.

Sound pretty darn good, Bass Pro Shops, "White River" brand unfortunately are nothing compared to those. Two years, and they had more "Shoe Goo" visible on them than they did nylon. And still leaked. These were nearly $100 and were their version of gortex. Gortex is pretty much a joke when you are wading. For some reason, they just don't breathe any better than a plastic bag when they are under water.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users