#1 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:03 PM

I have a Danphia Magna Culture.

I want to feed them Green water.

I can grow algea but not green water.

This is what I did:

- Filled up a 5 gal bucket with tank water.
- Added about 2 teaspoons of miricle grow (for a nitrigen)
- Placed an air stone
- Placed a 23 watt mini floressent bulb, 6500k spectrium (day light), ran it 24h

In 5 days the bucket itself was coated with green algea, but the water was crystal clear.

My initial thought was that I colonized the bucket with the wrong type of algae from the tank. Soo, I went ahead and scrubbed the bucket and shocked it with bleach. I will fill the bucket with tap water and start again using the same process.

Am I doing something wrong?

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

Do it outside with rain water.

#3 Guest_AussiePeter_*

Guest_AussiePeter_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:16 PM

20 gallon aquarium with lots of light and goldfish. Feed them well and you'll have as much green water as you could ever want.

Peter

#4 Guest_EricaLyons_*

Guest_EricaLyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

I sell green water for $3.
It's on this list as "Instant greenwater yada yadda yada..."
http://www.aquabid.c...ction.cgi?foodl
My username's Okiimiru.

#5 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:02 AM

I will probably pick up the green water.

I have had several outside mosquito larve cultures go bad recently because my munisipality sprayes for mosquitos.

(the main reason i am culturing danphia now)

#6 Guest_EricaLyons_*

Guest_EricaLyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:31 AM

(the main reason i am culturing danphia now)

If you are interested, there are species of live fish food that you can culture outside of an aquarium. I grow grindal worms (similar sized to mosquito larvae) and microworms (similarly sized to copepods). My methods are on post #55 of this topic: http://forum.nanfa.o...ks/page__st__40

#7 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

If you are interested, there are species of live fish food that you can culture outside of an aquarium. I grow grindal worms (similar sized to mosquito larvae) and microworms (similarly sized to copepods). My methods are on post #55 of this topic: http://forum.nanfa.o...ks/page__st__40

That is interesting.

Do you get any smell from the grindle culture?

#8 Guest_EricaLyons_*

Guest_EricaLyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:47 PM

Do you get any smell from the grindle culture?

Nope. If they smell, they're as unhappy about it as you are. (lol)
They don't have an odor if cleaned once every, hmmm, two or three weeks. To clean them you take the top layer of sponges with the worms out and set it aside. Then, using hot water but no soap, wash out the bottom layer of sponges and the container. Rinse the sponges until the water runs clean. Then refill with room temperature water. It works great for me.

You should check on them every two days to give them more food kibbles and to remove any fungus-y kibbles if you see any. They don't like their food fungus-ed, and won't touch it once it is. It's best to throw out that kibble and put a new one down somewhere at least an inch away.

I did recently get fruit flies in the cultures for the first time. But I taped coffee filters on the outsides of the lids and then there wasn't any more problem. The coffee filters let air in and out of the air holes but prevent fruit flies from getting in and laying eggs on the worm culture.

I love my grindal worms and microworms. They are extremely useful food cultures. My Elassoma gilberti ate them, my guppies eat them, my neolamprologus multifasciatus eat them. The synchiropus splendidus even deigned to eat my microworms (that species is very, very picky). The fish are getting fatty, egg-production-boosting live food every day and best of all, buying dog/cat kibble and oatmeal only costs like $15 a year if that.

#9 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

going to look into this

#10 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:13 AM

If you buy powdered spirulina from a health food store, you can mix it in a small amout of water and stir it into your culture. Seems to work fairly well for plantonic critters. Baking yeast works too, but not quite as well. Maybe a little of both would give you optimal results.

#11 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:04 PM

If you buy powdered spirulina from a health food store, you can mix it in a small amout of water and stir it into your culture. Seems to work fairly well for plantonic critters. Baking yeast works too, but not quite as well. Maybe a little of both would give you optimal results.

I am already feeding activated yeast.

culture seems fine 2 days in

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users