Good morning from eastern Ohio!

16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nerdariostomp_*

Guest_nerdariostomp_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

Hi, I'm Manny from eastern Ohio. I like long walks on the beach, holding hands and fish. I've always loved the lesser seen fish of Ohio but had never really thought about keeping any in an aquarium till seeing a native tank at one of my local fish club members' house. Seeing Brian Zimmerman's show tanks and fish room sealed the deal and he was kind enough to take me out with his daughter to show me how to catch minnow/darters. It's a new venture for me, but I have the space to allow for new fun things like this in my fish room and it's definitely a fun venture, so I'll be setting up a smaller 30G for some darters/minnow and a 75G for some sunfish.

Any advice, warnings, tips and critique is always welcome and I'll try to troll through the FAQ's to get some of the basics. My first question though is where to get a GOOD seine net. Seems like a lot of places have them, but a good one, complete with handles seems to be a harder one to track down.

#2 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

You won't find one complete with handles. You have to make do using wooden dowels or broom sticks or some other rigid pole. You can get excellent seines from jonahsaquarium.com.

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:15 AM

Mark sells good equipment at jonahs, especially for beginners. If you want a custom net with various sizes or meshes check out memphistwine.com I just bought a replacement 12-foot seine from them with very small mesh. The previous one lasted 3 years of heavy use.

#4 Guest_EricaLyons_*

Guest_EricaLyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:18 AM

I'm an Ohio transplant in North Carolina as of three years ago. I've found there are a lot more aquatic plant species down here, but I miss how it was never 105 in Ohio. Here it can be hot like that for weeks on end, ugh. But yeah, you should come visit North Carolina for the convention in 2014. The plants here are great. But with that said, if you find any potamogeton richardsonii when you're out collecting, let me know, and I'll pay for you to ship some down here to me. I quested for some before I moved here but I never did find any. It's so pretty. http://www.uwgb.edu/...ts/potric01.htm

There's a maximum length and a minimum mesh size for seines in Ohio: http://www.ohiodnr.c...ns/fishing.aspx
I'm not sure but I think sunfish can't be taken with a seine, only with rod and reel. You might want to read that link and make yourself the expert, don't rely on my rusty three year old knowledge.
And here's a list of the endangered species. Learn what these fish look like before you go out for the first time and avoid them if you see them. http://www.dnr.state...05/default.aspx

Let us know how your collecting goes :) Buy a fishing license, get a legal seine and a dipnet, and go out with some buddies. I used $5 Home Depot PVC poles and rubber bands on my first seine, which I ordered off of ebay for $10. Lol it worked, sort of. Kind of.
Take pictures of the fish you find while you're still out there on the water, and don't take any home for the first few trips as you familiarize yourself with the species based on identification posts you make here of pictures you took at the water. You're lucky because the Ohio DNR has a great website with color photos: http://www.dnr.state...13/Default.aspx There are a lot of good people up there.
Becoming familiar with identification is vital. If you find you took home a fish that is the wrong thing and it's going to grow up to be a foot long and eat all your other fish, what do you do? Do you release it into the wild? No. Give it away on craigslist, trade it here on our NANFA trading post, or kill it and throw the carcass in a dumpster. But please don't release it into the wild. That, and avoiding endangered species, are why the correct identification is so important.

Once you know what fish you want, have narrowed it down to a few species, and are ready for the much anticipated collection trip, we'll give you some tips on how to keep the fish alive during transport.

#5 Guest_Khai Wan_*

Guest_Khai Wan_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

I bought mine from here: http://www.douglasne.../home.php?cat=6
The ones I bought were: (a) 1/8 inch 4 feet seine (b) minnow seine poles
These poles are really portable and sturdy.

Edited by Khai Wan, 08 August 2013 - 11:45 AM.

#6 Guest_nerdariostomp_*

Guest_nerdariostomp_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

Thanks for all the replies and tips. I'll check out the different sites and will see what looks best

I have definitely started to keep my eyes peeled for cool aquatic plants and should have a few varieties on my property. Not sure about potamogeton richardsonii, but I'm always on the prowl for good plants. I have some bluegill sunfish in my pond at home and will definitely stick to traditional methods of catching those if I find a good collection spot for any other varieties somewhere else. We have a pretty cool setup though which makes it very easy to catch juveniles. It's a creek/spring fed wetland area that has a drain running into a shallow (4-5' deep) pond that's constantly flowing water out of a caulvert into a small 2-6" deep pool where a lot of the youngins end up washing down into.

As far as seining, Brian Zimmerman gave me a great crash course on identifying a variety of topminnow and darters as well as showing me how and where to catch each and it looks like 1/2" mesh and 4x8' seines are the legal limit here with a fishing permit. I'll keep my eyes on the endangered list too. I plan on introducing a few more friends to it and will eventually get my son out there with me once he's a little more coordinated (he's 2). Going to go out looking for driftwood for the 75 this weekend I think

#7 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:44 AM

In my short time collecting I have tried a couple different brails; dried bamboo and replacement broom handles with the metal threads on the end for installing a push broom.

Of the two, the broom sticks are definitely better. I attach them to the seine so that the metal tips make contact with the rocks, boulders, old car parts, et cetera. I especially like these for my dipnet. For that I installed the handle so the metal threads are on the opposite side of the net. The reason for this is it allows your dipnet to double as a wading staff in tricky water. Once you regain secure footing, your dipnet handle is not all mashed or shredded and you are ready for action.

The advantage of the bamboo is it's free (the stuff is nuisance down here). The disadvantage to it is it doesn't hold up too well to use in rocky areas. You'll be replacing it continually. That said, I don't remember seeing bamboo growing as far north as you live, so this is mentioned more as an invitation to envision alternatives than as a practical solution.

One other item I tried that had potential, but I never tinkered with enough to make practical; a street hockey stick. It was light, just as easy to hold as a round brail, and as it was an attic holdover from 15 years ago, available at no charge. It was just a little too short, and felt awkward paired up with a round brail on the other side. For those familiar with lacrosse, I wonder how a defenseman/long-stick middie's lax stick would do, cut to size. New ones would be cost prohibitive, but beat up garage sale sticks may be a different story.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:26 AM

Home Depot sells one and quarter inch round rod in a ten foot piece. Cut in half and you are ready.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#9 Guest_nerdariostomp_*

Guest_nerdariostomp_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:21 AM

sounds easy enough. at 5' each that'd be perfect. really stoked to build a new rack and add some more organization to the fish room this weekend

#10 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:35 AM

I have aluminum brails I bought from cabelas probably 6 years ago. They come pre-drilled to tie the seine on, and after years of heavy use, only have a slight bow to them. The one downside is that since they are hollow, they fill with water and while solo-seining (which is a somewhat awkward affair on its own with a 10 foot seine) I have occasionally gotten a jet of cold water to the armpit while lifting the net out of the water. Waders are great, but when you have a few ounces of ice cold water poured inside your waders in the winter time, you can still get to feeling pretty cold :-P. Still though, they aren't bad for 10 or 15 bucks.

#11 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:09 AM

I use wood closet rods (1.25 to 1.5 inch diam), 5 or 6' long, with a big screw-eye in the bottom end and a smaller screw-eye in the side, at whatever is the appropriate distance from the top. At the bottom, tie the seine rope around the neck of the screw-eye, rather than through the eye, to protect the rope. Most folks drill the poles - i just think screw-eyes are neat (like digital watches).

And I like your lacrosse stick idea. Replace the head net with smaller mesh and then you don't have to worry whether you left your bucket 30 yards away when you catch a fish. |;>)

#12 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:55 PM

I use redwood 2x2's. I get 12 footers, and cut them in half. Makes a 6 foot brails for a 4 foot net. I like the additional length, though for people with compact cars, this may be a problem. I also like the feel of a square brail.

#13 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:42 PM

I use fiberglass poles as my seine brails. They're about 5 foot long, sturdy, and cost $10-$12 each at a home improvement store. You have to remove the hoe-head or rake-head. :biggrin: For some reason, plain replacement poles are more expensive than the same sticks with devices on. But you can outsmart the system.

#14 Guest_nerdariostomp_*

Guest_nerdariostomp_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

Looking into micro fishing now as well. Seems like something fun to do and very simple.

#15 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:30 PM

Everybody's doing it. It is the hottest thing to hit NANFA in years. It'll make you cool.

#16 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:19 PM

It will make most people cool, but be careful...Dougy is on this thread...there are limits to what microfishign can do...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#17 Guest_nerdariostomp_*

Guest_nerdariostomp_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:46 AM

Hah! Yeah, it definitely seems to be an interesting way to fly fish. I have been reading a lot about it and trying to find a good starting point. The microfishing forum is pretty well stocked with good info/links too so I'm just going through my usual flood of information before I make a decision :)

I should be shuffling all of my native fish into a 30G this weekend too. I have some dace/chub in there now, but will be adding some darters

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users