Pumpkinseed vs O- Spotted

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BenjaminS_*

Guest_BenjaminS_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:32 AM

Hi guys, I was just wondering which species would be better for my 75 gallon, pumpkinseed or orange spotted. I realize that they differ in size quite a bit but was wondering more on which is easier to keep, breed etc. Which is more timid, more bold easier to feed all that kind of stuff.

The main problem is availability, I can get pumpkinseeds by the hundreds where I am and in all different sizes but I would have to mail order the O-spots.

Any thoughs?

#2 Guest_EricaLyons_*

Guest_EricaLyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:51 AM

Considering that pumpkinseeds get over a foot long and orangespotteds stay at 4 inches, my vote is for the orangespotted. I hear that they aren't that easy to breed, or I'd have a tank of them. http://forum.nanfa.o...milis-spawning/

#3 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

Over a foot long is a stretch. Perhaps the world record reached a foot, but the longest state record with a length shown is 11 inches. The biggest I've personally seen is 8 inches. In an aquarium they probably wouldn't get much longer than 6 or 7 inches.
http://www.landbigfi...cords.cfm?ID=30

I had one pumpkinseed in a 30 gallon that was pretty happy, but when I added a second there were tensions. Right now I have a longear and an orangespotted together in a 60 gallon, and the longear completely ignores the orangespotted because of the size difference.

I think one pumpkinseed and a male and female orangespotted in the 75 would work out well. Breeding I know nothing about though, so my advice may not be very helpful.

#4 Guest_BenjaminS_*

Guest_BenjaminS_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

I've been reading around and you are correct Erica, the O-spots fry seem difficult to raise to maturity. I have always found the idea of catching my own pet fish really cool so I will most likely go for the pumpkinseeds and go out there and catch my own. Thanks for the input guys!

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:20 PM

It seems that the people who have the greatest success breeding sunfish, do it outdoors in ponds or tubs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users