Photo

The Fishes of Stone Mountain

8 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

Last weekend, in preparation for the Georgia Naturalist Rally, a group of NANFAns, joined by a couple of naturalists from Stone Mountain decided to visit the streams in and around the park to see what fishes are there. Now as some of you may know, Stone Mountain is a hug piece of granite sticking up out of the ground here in Atlanta. Not a very fishy sounding place, solid rock. But there are streams running around the park and the whole area is part of the Yellow River drainage, which is part of the Ocmulgee Watershed (which means eventually the Altamaha Watershed). However, all of these streams have been isolated from the main part of these rivers by impoundments for quite some time, so so we were interested to see what we might find.

Seven NANFAns and a few family members joined the naturalists on Saturday and we ha a great day exploring the park and seeing which fishes were there (and which ones were not). We did not have a huge species list, but it was still a very nice day. We saw some things that I never expected to experience on an August day in Georgia.

So before I get started, let me apologize for the photographs, between my excitement and impatience and the humidity of the day, the photos are frankly terrible. But you can at least see what we saw, and there is a bonus at the end that made it worth posting these.

We saw several Largemouth bass... we were in small streams, so they were mostly small, but this one individual was certainly trying to eat his way into being full grown... look at the belly on him!
Posted Image

We also saw the expected Sunfish... Bluegill (all sizes), redbreast, and green (not pictured)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Slightly outside the park we saw Gambusia and Yellowfin Shiners and Bluehead Chubs, and this guy... Striped Jumprock!
Posted Image
... and stonerollers (I presume bluefins based on our drainage) were found in and out of the park...
Posted Image

But certainly the highlight and surprise of the day was finding active chub nests in some of the small streams right near the road. Now this water was much cooler than some fo the other streams that we were in later in the day. I think there has to be some spring fed component to these little streams to keep them so cool. But in any case the stream architect was there... and he was showing off for his girl friend.
Posted Image

so you know if the architect is doin' his thing, that it gets the Notropis in the neighborhood all 'riled up. And boy were they. We saw swarms and swarms in a couple of different places. Now my pictures are not liquid sunshine, these are the fire of Atlanta... This is not yellow or orange, but bright red and meanin' it.
Posted Image
We call 'em yellowfin shiners most of the year, and we saw plenty of our of color individuals that had the yellowish orange fins. But when the boys are fired up they got all red and white... look at him, so excited he cannot even contain the white to his fins it starts running up on his belly!
Posted Image
And this guy... I have seen warpaints that looked like their mascara was running they were so intensely colored... well this guy looks like he has been painted with Tom Sawyers whitewash brush... not applied carefully but just slapped on thick and heavy, covering his head and turning his fins all opaque.

We bothered them as little as we could... they would easily chase off the nest, but only fled ten to fifteen feet or so and went right back to the nest as soon as they could. We only held a couple dozen in the photo tank for a few minutes before returning them to their hundreds of fellow orgy participants. Maybe it was the cool water, maybe the rainy summer we have had, but here in August we got to see the beauty of the spring... the fires of Atlanta...

... and this post is too much fun, but I cannot resist throwing in a little of the yellowfin mystery/debate back in here... really white fins, this far west, in the Ocmulgee drainage... I am not sure this fits any of the models I have been seeing...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#2 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

Wow Michael, those yellowfins are amazing! It's crazy that this was happening so late in the year.

#3 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:14 AM

That is some really fun stuff, Michael! You found one of your jumprocks, a personal fave of yours, I think. Fantastic colors on those chub nest freeloaders and the architect as well! I would not have expected that either; especially considering just a couple days ago I netted several of our resident yellowfin/greenheads and they didn't resemble yours in the least. Of course, their water temp was 78F. If that bass' belly is any indicator, that stream indeed has the cornucopia of forage you've posted! Thanks for putting these up here!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#4 Guest_alejandro_*

Guest_alejandro_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:46 PM

Those colors are great. Did any of the videos turn out?

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:58 AM

So what DNA sequences do you have on those yellowfins? (just kiddin'...)

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:34 AM

Those colors are great. Did any of the videos turn out?

My yellowfin videos did not turn out from Saturday (bad focus problems)... but I did get some interesting video of a Redbreast on a nest in the streambetween the railroad tracks and the moountain.

And I did go back on Sunday to get some additional fotage with my new gopro camera. The first two nests that w had been at on Saturday showed no activity on Sunday. But the other two (closer to the road and below that pool) were still going pretty good, and I got my first good gopro fish video.

As always, Hero Green takes over on these videos... so I get a mix of serious and outrageous...everyone has different tastes.

With apologies to Belushi, Ackroyd and Jr. Wells... watch this one for the ultimate Redbreast poparazzi moment

Shallow cool water reflecting the chub nest above and below and the yellowfin fire of Atlanta under Stone Mountain
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:24 PM

The fishes are awesome, and wow Stone Mountain seems like an awesome natural wonder, too bad........

#8 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

The white stripe along the lower abdomen is interesting - I've seen a similar silver-white abdominal streak in Saffron and Tennessee shiners but never in any of the Yellowfin-Greenhead complex, nor in Redlips.

#9 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:41 PM

I watched your video, that is a tiny creek! Too bad you could not push the camera into the color, that would have been a sight to see!

I talked with Boss Jim today and he too felt as i proposed last night. With all the Georgia rain this year the water table and aquafer are full. Once in the ground the water temperature runs about 60 degrees and these small creeks are often fed more by seeps and springs than runoff. The fish do not know the date but are opportunistic to the proper temperature and according to Jim the amount of daylight. I asked about the effect of the moon, full or new, and he said not. However i have heard otherwise from others. I think the bottom line is the fish will take advantage whenever the conditions are right. It is wonderful that you got to see this! I will check some of my local spring fed systems over the next couple weeks... if i get a chance. I have 3 days, 1 break day, then 2 more Conasauga snorkels starting Thursday. I will be pruned walrus. I have yet to return to North Chickamauga this year which would be ideal to observe spring runs.
I think all your pictures are pretty good. I especially like the Ma and Pa Blueheads.
More pudding please.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users