Shiner (?) in central Missouri

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rndouglas_*

Guest_rndouglas_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:23 AM

I've been using Pflieger's The Fishes of Missouri, and I'm still stumped on this one.

I caught this fish while microfishing in Hinkson Creek (a small stream that runs through Columbia, Missouri....I believe it dumps into Perche Creek a couple miles before Perche Creek dumps into the Missouri River).

The two individuals I caught were from a shallow riffle.

I have caught Common Shiner and Red Shiner in this creek a few miles downstream of this location, but I can't convince myself it's either of those.

Based on my book, the following minnows are possible, but I've ruled them out: Golden Shiner, Creek Chub, Silver Chub, Suckermouth Minnow, Ghost Shiner, Western Silvery Minnow, Plains Minnow, Bluntnose Minnow, Fathead Minnow, and Central Stoneroller

These are the ones I'm still considering: Common Shiner, Red Shiner, Redfin Shiner, Emerald Shiner, Bigmouth Shiner, Sand Shiner.

So....am I on the right track or have I eliminated something I should be taking another look at?

Here are a few photos:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:37 AM

It looks like one of the true Notropis shiners, not a Luxilus, Lythrurus or Cyprinella, and its not an emerald (which has dorsal fin farther back behind pelvics), so based on your list i think the last two choices are possibilities: sand or bigmouth. Dont know if there may be others you havent listed. Loks like 7 or maybe 8 anal fin rays - that should help narrow it.

#3 Guest_rndouglas_*

Guest_rndouglas_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:22 AM

Thanks for the reply! I was starting to zero in on Sand Shiner over Bigmouth for a couple reasons: 7 anal fin rays (seen better in another photo I don't have online), and the length of the upper jaw is only about 2/3 the diameter of the eye (measured in Photoshop).

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

Looks like a sand shiner to me.

#5 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:24 PM

Kudos to you!

This is a great ID thread, a person who actually has decent photos, and even tried to make an EDUCATED attempt to ID it.

Great job at narrowing it down...I sure suck at Notropis IDs

#6 Guest_rndouglas_*

Guest_rndouglas_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:20 PM

I'm very big on IDing just about every vertebrate I encounter....and these minnows are giving me a run for my money! I come from a birding background, and I'd guess minnows are the birding equivalent of Calidris sp. sandpipers; frustrating and fun at the same time.

At least I get to have the minnows in hand instead of a quarter-mile away like the sandpipers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users