About brine shrimp...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Joshaeus_*

Guest_Joshaeus_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

My room (or at least the water in it) varies in temperature between 60 and 74 degrees fahreinheight throughout the year. Would brine shrimp hatch in those conditions, or should I try to find a warmer hatching spot?

#2 Guest_gunner48_*

Guest_gunner48_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

Brine shrimp need temps in the mid 80"s for a good hatch, and that temp should not vary. I have used a five gallon fish tank for my hatching. I use and aquarium heater with a temp setting feature, sized to the tank. Fill the tank, heat the water. To actually hatch the shrimp I use 2 liter pop bottles. Cut off the bottoms and put the cap side down in the water. This makes a nice funnel. Add your salt water and air stone to the two liter. To keep the two liter bottle upright I lay a sheet of styrofoam on the surface and cut a hole to fit the 2 liter bottle. With the salt water in the bottle the bottle should stay in place.
A five gallon tank will hold the styrofoam and two bottles. Add a light source and your ready to go. Since I went to this method the hatches have been much better and much more predictable. With two bottles going you can keep the hatches coming every day, until your baby fish are big enough for microworms or whatever you want to feed next.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users