What is this

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Peatles_*

Guest_Peatles_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:29 AM

I've fished for a long time and never have I ever seen something like this. If anyone has any knowledge about this creature I caught please let me know, it was caught off of Port Canaveral, FL, again any help would be great!!! By the way the tail is a bit cut off it has two dorsal fins and no barbs.

Attached Files

Edited by Peatles, 15 August 2013 - 12:31 AM.

#2 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:39 AM

It sort of looks like a guitar fish. Related to sharks and rays.

#3 Guest_EBParks_*

Guest_EBParks_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

I second that, definitely looks like a guitar fish.

#4 Guest_trygon_*

Guest_trygon_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:18 AM

It is an Atlantic guitarfish, Rhinobatos lentiginosus, a ray (Rajiformes) that looks like a shark. An angel shark, Squatina, is a shark that looks like a ray.

Bryce

#5 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:04 PM

It is an Atlantic guitarfish, Rhinobatos lentiginosus, a ray (Rajiformes) that looks like a shark. An angel shark, Squatina, is a shark that looks like a ray.

According to commonly cited info a shark has gills on the sides, a ray has gills underneath.

According to my college vertebrate zoology class their are two groups of sharks. One group mostly traditional sharks. The other a mix of traditional sharks, odd sharks, and tays which has everything from whale sharks and dogfish to angel sharks and rays,

to confuse things more between 1 (sharks and rays are different0 and 2 (rays are modified sharks) is wikipedia refuting 2 and supporting 1. So I have no idea where the issue stands now.

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:58 PM

to confuse things more between 1 (sharks and rays are different0 and 2 (rays are modified sharks) is wikipedia refuting 2 and supporting 1. So I have no idea where the issue stands now.

When in doubt, ignore wikipedia and go with a peer reviewed source.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 Guest_trygon_*

Guest_trygon_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

FirstChAos,
I'm not sure what your point is, but a guitarfish is a ray, Elasmobranchii - Rajiformes - Rhinobatidae - Rhinobatinae, and yes their gill openings are on the bottom and they have spiracles just behind their eyes like any other ray/skate. A whale shark, Rhincodon typus, Elasmobranchii - Orectoloboformes - Rhincodontidae, is only related to Rajiformes on the class and order levels.

What is a "traditional shark"? By the way, Wikipedia is editable.

#8 Guest_trygon_*

Guest_trygon_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:09 PM

+1 for peer review.

#9 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:46 PM

I like to edit Wikipedia too :-) And people wonder why there is so much confusion....

#10 Guest_hornpout_*

Guest_hornpout_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

Wikipedia is peer reviewed. Irate mormon edits stuff, there, as do lots of other clever folks with very specific knowledge. Here's some of their own stuff...
http://en.wikipedia....nal_peer_review
http://en.wikipedia....dia:Peer_review
Maybe it has its faults, but at least you can improve it. It gets stronger every day.

#11 Guest_MichiJim_*

Guest_MichiJim_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:49 PM

Individual entries in Wikipedia may be peer reviewed, but they don't have to be. I use Wikipedia too but do not rely on it for specific scientific information. I like Michael's response - when in doubt, use a source that requires peer review prior to publication.

#12 Guest_Grabenmeister_*

Guest_Grabenmeister_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

When in doubt, FishBase!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users