Seriously fish's information on flagfish is just plain SAD...

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Joshaeus_*

Guest_Joshaeus_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:45 PM

I'm saying this because previously I had respected seriously fish as a reliable source. However, their flagfish page revealed otherwise. On quote:
"Contrary to many reports, including a number of scientific papers, this species breeds in the same way as other cyprinodontids and does not dig pits or exhibit extended parental care."
Seriously? I don't mean to be rude, but I find this laughably funny and sad at the same time...even several youtube videos show that flagfish male clearly guard their eggs in at least some circumstances. Out of curiousity, but do most websites online make goofs like this when describing north american fish care? Because this one is almost the equivalent of saying "guppies lay eggs"!

#2 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:12 PM

As others have mentioned recently (in a post I read earlier)....always refer to and use printed resources. Almost anyone can start a webpage. I don't know much about 'Seriously Fish'--although a few moments looking through it didn't blow my mind, aside from the webdesigner doing a good job.

Truth be told, I did not see the male in my trio of Flagfish guarding his eggs nor the fry. There are 'rules' and then there are always exceptions to those rules. And in different environments, fish can behave differently. Perhaps the author wrote about his/her own observances? Hard to say.
Nick L.

#3 Guest_Joshaeus_*

Guest_Joshaeus_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

Perhaps. I do know that certain authors have suggested that flagfish scatter their eggs in deeper water near the surface and guard their eggs if they are in shallow water. It was suggested that the former behavior allowed the eggs to get to the shallow water that cyprinodontiforms universally need when newly born, and that the latter strategy allows eggs already in shallow water to be even safer. Oh well...

#4 Guest_Auban_*

Guest_Auban_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:44 PM

when i bred them, the male hovered over the eggs and looked like he was going to work his little fins off fanning the eggs. i did not expect them to spawn as fast as they did, and thought that there was something wrong with the male. that is, until i saw the eggs.

that seem like parental care to me...

#5 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:47 AM

The Flagfish is known for the way it can spawn in different ways depending on the available conditions. It's yet another of the fun things that make this species so interesting.

Edited by Mysteryman, 05 February 2014 - 12:57 AM.

#6 Guest_Joshaeus_*

Guest_Joshaeus_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:04 AM

Yeah, that's what I found also. Maybe I was a little too harsh on the site, but oh well...

#7 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

"... and does not dig pits or exhibit extended parental care." I think "extended" is the critical word here. Some males do guard the spawning site, and may fan the eggs, but the fry scatter soon after hatching and are on their own. They hatch with functional eyes and fins; there is no non-swimming wriggler stage. The male may continue guarding the spawning site in preparation for the next gravid female, and any fry that don't leave immediately may get some incidental protection that way. But there's no active care of fry after hatching.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users