Hello from Pageland,SC

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bhelms1976_*

Guest_bhelms1976_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:50 PM

Hello all!! I've been keeping aquariums for about 12 years, mostly CA/SA and African cichlids, but have always been interested in keeping natives.
Looking forward to learning the ins and outs of native fishkeeping from all of you!! Thanks for the opportunity to join

#2 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

Hi, you are in a great area of the state with access to riverine species like fieryblack and redlip shiners and swampy species like blackbanded sunfish and golden topminnows all within a relatively short drive. Oh, and the watermelon festival. I am jealous on all counts. We get up your way several times a year and you are welcome to join us if you are interested.

#3 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

Man what an influx of SC native enthusiasts we have had lately! Welcome!!!

#4 Guest_bhelms1976_*

Guest_bhelms1976_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

wow that fiery black shiner is quite the beauty

thanks for the welcomes!!

#5 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

Greetings, fellow Palmetto State resident, and welcome to NANFA! Hopefully sometime we'll meet up on the waters.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#6 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

Welcome!

#7 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

Stephen, isn't Pageland out towards N. chiliticus country? Perhaps a field trip is in order after you settle back in at school...
Matt Knepley

#8 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:21 PM

Indeed it is. As Dustin mentioned, there are quite a few awesome species out that way, redlip included. Good place to be in SC as far as natives go. Field trip sounds good to me as long as it doesn't conflict with a Clemson home football game ;)

#9 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:26 PM

Indeed it is. As Dustin mentioned, there are quite a few awesome species out that way, redlip included. Good place to be in SC as far as natives go. Field trip sounds good to me as long as it doesn't conflict with a Clemson home football game ;)

Glad you have your priorities straight! (No, I'm not being facetious. Fall is college ball time, that's that...) We'll have to coordinate your CU games and my work schedule and grace our new palmetto-er some fall Saturday.

You up for that, bhelms? :biggrin:
Matt Knepley

#10 Guest_bhelms1976_*

Guest_bhelms1976_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:48 PM

You up for that, bhelms? :biggrin:

Sounds good but will depend on my schedule...i drive a truck over-the-road

#11 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

SC is a wonderful place for fish. I caught fifteen species in an hour and a half once in an unfamiliar creek that wasn't more than 15 feet wide at any point, and got as narrow as 3 feet.

#12 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:48 AM

There's an odd form of yellowfin (or greenhead?) shiner around that area too, in the Lynches drainage.
Welcome bhelms, and mark June 6-8 on your calendar now for the 2014 NANFA conference in the NC mountains.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users