can cocahoe /bull minnows live in freshwater?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dht_*

Guest_dht_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

Can Cocahoe/Bull minnows live in freshwater? Can they live with bream?

#2 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:13 PM

Are bull minnows Fundulus grandis? If so, yes they will live in freshwater. They will live with the bream but there will be issues, depending on which species of sunfish you have. Larger sunfish will pick at the killies and larger killies will pick on the sunfish.

#3 Guest_dht_*

Guest_dht_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

yes either grandis or heteroclitus,well i have nothing in the tank yet i was wanting 2----2-3 inch bream hopefully a long ear ,pumpkinseed ,or something like that,and i want a school of the minnows. should all be the same size untill the bream get bigger

#4 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

It would probably work for a while. I'm not sure about long term. I have a dollar in with a few heteroclitus right now. They tolerate each other.

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:03 PM

If you're in the greater Mobile area, the coastal bull minnows are F. grandis; F. heteroclitus only goes as far south as central Florida on the Atlantic before it's replaced by F. grandis. These are tough fish and will survive in fresh water, but they really won't prosper; my observation is the F. heteroclitus is somewhat better with life in fresh water.

#6 Guest_dht_*

Guest_dht_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:59 PM

well what else do you suggest i could get around here? i dont know much about native minnow species,

#7 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:27 AM

well what else do you suggest i could get around here? i dont know much about native minnow species,

See some Alabama "minnows" here, and some "shiners" here.

Personally I'd dump the idea of having a bream and get a mixed school of active Cyprinella (tricolor, Alabama, whitetail, blacktail, spotfin, steelcolor) and/or Pteronotropis (flagfin, sailfin, or merlini which is not in that list.) Scarlet, rosefin, rainbow and rough shiners are all good aquarium fish too. Depending on how big your tank is, of course. And all of these species like some current.

Alabama is pretty much shiner heaven. Not to slight some other places that also have excellent variety.

There are two big books describing and picturing the fish of Alabama. Check your local bookstore. Also, Peterson's Field Guide to Freshwater Fishes of North America is invaluable, but necessarily the info on each species is more limited.

HTH

d.d.

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

Alabama is pretty much shiner heaven.

Ditto that - you are really missing out if you don't look into it. This time of year they don't have as much color - but come next spring...

Some do keep nice color year round too.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users