My first microfishing trip

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:07 PM

Saturday I decided to head to Ashuelot River Park in Keene and try my hand at microfishing.

What did I think? very frustrating. I tried tying on two leaders and lost them (I later found one). They are so tiny it is tough to tie their line to a swivel, and having one bad eye and numb hands from repetitive motion issues does not help. I gave up on the leaders and tried the microfishing kit.

On my first cast a sunfish went for the line, i went to set the hook and the sunny went flying through the air into the river and my line tangled. I couldn't undo the line tangle that wrapped the strike indicators around the mini bobber so I fished with it tangled.

The sunnies were voracious, especially for the bobber/indicators which they found more appetizing than bits of worm on the hook.

Still I got five sunfish, I'd have got more but the line snapped when I tried untangling it.

A couple sunnies did swallow the hooks but I found them amazingly easy to yank out. (with normal hooks I undo the swivel and let them leave with the leader when that happens, I cannot yank out or remove a hook with pliars with normal size hooks without injuring the fish when they swallow it).

Will I go microfishing again? not sure, until they make the leaders with attachment loops using them is alot of trouble.

Here are my sunnies, the first could be a redbreast, the rest look like pumpkinseeds.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:54 PM

I feel your pain. It's early in the morning and you're still groggy and your trying to tie a line that's thinner that a strand of hair. I ended up tying mine presnelled hooks to a barrel swivel the night before and then putting a hook swivel on about two feet of 2 lb test line and tying that to my pole. Then if I lose a hook I just take another pre-tied hook out an clip the barrel swivel on.

#3 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:04 AM

Trying to tie those hooks onto your line is the most patience-testing part of the whole experience! Still, when I'm in the mood for microfishing, it's worth it.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#4 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:23 AM

Josh, those are all redbreasts.

#5 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:50 AM

Nice work! You caught fish with Tanago hooks. That's an accomplishment!

#6 Guest_CMStewart_*

Guest_CMStewart_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:51 AM

That's what the "tippet connectors" are for. Tie your line to the eye, pull the leader into the tight hook part, wrap it around once and pull it in again. It won't slip and you never have to tie knots in the leader. Takes just a couple seconds to attach or take off the leader.

Attached Images

• tippet-connectors-3.jpg

#7 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:38 AM

That's what the "tippet connectors" are for. Tie your line to the eye, pull the leader into the tight hook part, wrap it around once and pull it in again. It won't slip and you never have to tie knots in the leader. Takes just a couple seconds to attach or take off the leader.

Very cool.

#8 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

Ok, well, that's on my to buy list. Someone had suggested them on another thread but I didn't get it till you posted the picture. That's cool, I'm getting some of those.

#9 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:22 AM

Josh, those are all redbreasts.

What gives them away as redbreasts.

I guessed punpkinseed due to the brownish-orangish spots on the side. They are too small for opercular tab identification. I hear redbreasts look basslike but they looked typically lepomis to me. (examining the pics they do look a bit elongated but I am not sure if that is a relic from resizing the photos).

#10 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:19 AM

The opercular tab won't get elongated until the fish get a little larger / more mature. And those orange spots you see are typical of young redbreast. Those spots still remain as adults, but they really seem to catch your eye as juveniles. To me, pumpkinseeds at that size look a little more "bluegill-y" in my opinion. They may have some spots, but they will often shown those vertical bars down the side of the body like young bluegill do. In regards to your "bass-like" comment, tiny redbreasts can often have that elongated and big-mouth look of green sunfish, whereas pumpkindseeds can be a bit more round and bluegill-ish. This is just my observation and a way that helped me separate the two.

#11 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:45 AM

As usual, I agree with Will. Another character is the set of parallelish blue/green lines that are right there at the opercular tab. Small redbreast always have this.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users