short nose gar search

28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_PrimitiveJaws_*

Guest_PrimitiveJaws_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:57 PM

Im looking to aquiare one or two short nose gar, i amd having very little luck getting a hold of even one , and because its been so long i have had alot of time to reaserch. Doing so has only made me more eager. I hope that some one here can help me with this delima.

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:16 AM

Gar are VERY cool. You should move down south. I recall a magical moment in time when I took a friend from work collecting. We had just seined up a shortnose, and I was explaining the various features to him. I was in the middle of a pool (one of those honey holes along the stream) when I looked up and saw about a dozen torpedo shapes at the surface of the water, all pointed at me. Shortnose gar.

That was neither the beginning nor the end of my love affair with gar. I am about 4 feet away from one (spotted) as I type this.

#3 Guest_PrimitiveJaws_*

Guest_PrimitiveJaws_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:15 AM

That sounds like an awesome experience ^_^ ! That is the only kind i presently have aswell (spotted ) but i would love to have a short nose. in you opinion should i keep searching for a seller or should i go and collect a young one myself?

#4 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:13 AM

Gar are fascinating creatures. I have only ever seen them in any big numbers in one place; the discharge of Orlando Wetlands Park in Christmas, Florida. OWP is, briefly, a large man-made wetlands used for continued processing of semi-treated waste water. There are quite a few trails, and surprisingly good nature viewing. (I spent many happy hours there as a 20-something back in the early '90s, I hope it is still now as neat a place as it was then.) The gar would stack up in the narrow, shallow outflow and pounce on the poor creatures, or parts thereof,that passed through the outflow. Fascinating and kinda ominous; but hey, gar gotta eat, too...

I know nothing about the practicalities of acquiring gar, so I thought I'd just fan the fire a little, you know, to keep ya interested in 'em... O:)
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:08 PM

Vermilion river Illinois is probably your closest bet. I do not know of any online licensed vendors or breeders of shortnose gar.

If you were a NANFA member you would be able to view our trading dock. There, our members can swap fish with each other, as long as everything is legal. There is no selling or buying allowed, but you can reimburse them for shipping costs. Shortnose gar small enough to ship may be a tall order in general, but even more so this time of year, I imagine YOY shortnose are pushing 10 inches by now. I am also not sure of the legality of seining and keeping them, I would guess that they are classified as gamefish in most states, which would limit them to hook and line collection.

If you took the trip to the Vermilion, in certain areas you would have a hard time not catching them hook and line, but you would need adequate containers to transport fairly large fish.

#6 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:25 AM

If only I would've known a month ago, I caught a little one. And luckily they're considered trash fish up here, so no regulations! I can try my best next spring, but as Skipjack said, this time of year it's nearly impossible.

#7 Guest_PrimitiveJaws_*

Guest_PrimitiveJaws_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:06 AM

I will gladly wait for next spring then =). Thanku you so much for you responses every one you guys are a great community. I'll keep in touch with you Yeahson421.

#8 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

Sounds good, Primitive!

#9 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

As to your question, DEFINITELY try to collect your own. If a castnet is legal where you live, then you're in luck.

#10 Guest_PrimitiveJaws_*

Guest_PrimitiveJaws_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:00 AM

cool sound like an idea i will have to try with one of my freinds. ^_^

#11 Guest_PrimitiveJaws_*

Guest_PrimitiveJaws_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:13 PM

another question i have is where in NJ or very close to NJ could i got collect a long nosed gar? and does anyone here have any expirence they could share with me in caring for them.

#12 Guest_HicksFish_*

Guest_HicksFish_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:51 AM

another question i have is where in NJ or very close to NJ could i got collect a long nosed gar? and does anyone here have any expirence they could share with me in caring for them.

Funny timing, but I was looking at the list of NJ freshwater fish just yesterday. This is the link from the Fish and Wildlife website:
www.NJFishandWildlife.com/chkfish.htm
The only gar listed is the longnorse gar, and unfortunately, it's listed as extirpated.
I've occasionally seen different types of gar for sale in a couple of the NJ pet shops. You might try calling Shark Aquarium in Hillside or Petland Discount in Hackensack.

#13 Guest_PrimitiveJaws_*

Guest_PrimitiveJaws_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:28 AM

Petland discount in hackensack can order fish?? Cause the one near me in hazlet cant really do much but get whats on thier list and the only gar on thier list that ive seen is the florida spotted, but i will gibe them a try and i just emaioled shark aquarium last night actually ( that pretty funny ). so i'll give those a try thanks.

#14 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

What's wrong with florida gar? They are gentle calm fish. Can be kept with anything that does not fit in their mouths. Also they slow, or almost stop growing at around 14 inches. At least that was my experience with them in a 240.

#15 Guest_HicksFish_*

Guest_HicksFish_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:35 AM

More funny timing - there was a 12 inch alligator gar in the auction at the Brooklyn Aquarium Society last night.

Also - MFK (with ECC) is having a convention in Parsippany NJ next weekend - Sept 20-22. One of the speakers is Solomon David doing two talks on "Primitive Fishes".

Here's the promo text about his talks:
Solomon spends most of his time fishing for Monster Fish while doing field research for the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago... But for the Konvention weekend he'll be telling us all about Primitive Fishes, especially Gars, Bowfin, Polypterus and Lungfishes!!! Solomon is a "hands-wet" ichthyologist who keeps, breeds, and observes the animals in aquaria and their natural habitat. Check out his website for a sneak preview: http://primitivefishes.com/

Here's a link to convention website http://eastcoastmonsterfish.com

#16 Guest_PrimitiveJaws_*

Guest_PrimitiveJaws_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

Thats awesome i really hope i can go. That man is truely a marvel with his work and studies i believe. Not to mention primitiv fish my fave subject.

#17 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:02 PM

Matt, I've caught Florida gar on hook and line that were 4' long when I lived in S. Ga. - the small ones were 2-3 feet long! They lived in the noxious, foul-smelling tailwaters of a dam.

#18 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:04 PM

I would love to hear that talk - I've kept 4 species of Polypterus, and African Lungfish.

#19 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

Matt, I've caught Florida gar on hook and line that were 4' long when I lived in S. Ga. - the small ones were 2-3 feet long! They lived in the noxious, foul-smelling tailwaters of a dam.

Absolutely. But in my 240 they grew like crazy for the first year, then pretty much just stopped. Still fed plenty, and frequent water changes. Others have said the same thing. They seem to stunt well with no ill effects. They stayed about 14-15 inches for 2-3 years. Finally, I handed them off to Richard Kik, and Brian Zimmerman. They were fat and sassy the whole time.

#20 Guest_HicksFish_*

Guest_HicksFish_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

Thats awesome i really hope i can go. That man is truely a marvel with his work and studies i believe. Not to mention primitiv fish my fave subject.

Short notice, but I just saw an offer from a vendor that will deliver pre-orders to the convention. Their stock list includes "Spotted Gar 2 - 3 inches $10".
Sorry, but I don't know anything else about the vendor so please don't take this as a recommendation.
It's Aquascape Online located in Belleville NJ. Website is http://aquascapeonline.com/

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users