Help with ID on unknown Darter

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_biggreenavalanche_*

Guest_biggreenavalanche_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

Need help with ID on unknown darter...before I get sanctioned, this darter and another one like it were "rescued" from LFS...they come in occassionally with the feeders...according to the LFS the feeders are from central Arkansas, call it Little Rock, Hot Springs area...the feeders are pond raised...the pics are not the best, sorry, I have no photo tank...when I introduced the other one about two weeks ago he/she disappeared, extremely shy, see him/her occassionally...the first one colored up just a bit, sort of a salmon color on the throat, the bars got a tad darker, other than that looks identical to this fella...I have no clue !

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:59 AM

Swamp darter, E. fusiforme - commonly mixed in with feeder fish shipments. The small rounded head, high arched lateral line, and brown splotches & speckles on a greenish-tan background are characteristics. It should also have three dark dots arranged vertically on the caudal peduncle -- i can just barely see hints of them in the bottom pic.

#3 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:29 AM

That is what I think too but are those found in AR? My assumption is that the fedders are raised in FL and then distributed through AR.

#4 Guest_biggreenavalanche_*

Guest_biggreenavalanche_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:58 AM

Ok, went and looked up some pics of swamp darters...appears that is what it probably is...sorry for the horrible pics ! Dustin, all I can tell you is the LFS said they get their feeders from central AR...they very well may ship them from FL to AR to holding ponds...anyway, I've noticed the two that I've "rescued" seem to not like the current end and tend to hang in the slack water area of the tank, they are feeding well and appear to be happy...

Thanks Dustin and Gerald...looks like mystery solved...

Rich

#5 Guest_IsaacSzabo_*

Guest_IsaacSzabo_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

Swamp darters occur naturally in southern and eastern Arkansas where the fish farms are located.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users