Hello from the Soo

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:12 PM

Hi!
I used to be very active on here a few years ago, but then things got busy and I didn't have time. I grew up in Midland, but am now a senior at Lake Superior State University studying fisheries management. I'm currently in the process of looking for graduate programs in fish ecology. I have been enjoying native fish (and tropical fish for that matter) in the aquarium for at least 10 years now and have no plans of stopping anytime soon. Any questions or suggestions (especially regarding graduate programs) would be gladly accepted!

#2 Guest_MichiJim_*

Guest_MichiJim_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

Good to see another yooper in here. Are you part of the crew coming down to work on the Hiawatha Club projects? If so, we may run into each other. I live on the club in Engadine.

As far as grad schools go, what are you interested in doing? I did some graduate work at Michigan State, and they have a great program in fisheries management. They were strong in aquaculture when I was there (30 years ago, I'm afraid), but with Dr. Garling gone, I don't know what they are doing in that area.

Good luck this year.

Jim Wood

#3 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:57 PM

I will be coming to Hiawatha to do some sampling with my fisheries management class, but other than that I do not have much time to get out there. I have looked at Michigan State some, but have not yet contacted anyone there. It's definitely one of my top choices as far as programs go, but I need to do more investigating for options. As far as my interests for grad school, I am not too picky; anything with fish diversity, population dynamics, interactions with other species and things like that all get me hooked.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users