Photo

What the songs don't tell you...

36 replies to this topic

#1 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:51 AM

Listen to mainstream country radio for more than 15 minutes this time of year and you will invariably hear a song holding forth about the glories of good ol' boys and trucks, country girls in bikini tops and daisy dukes, going to the river, and the the glories of a southern summer.

At the risk of sounding like D. A. Coe, the songs leave out two important considerations; namely these habitats are not the exclusive properties of the south, they are to be found all across North America, and also that such places are often native fish heaven!

Some DeLorme study and an educated guess had me headed towards the Mt. Carmel, SC area yesterday. I passed a couple fishy-lookin' spots, but kept driving into the heart of nowhere till I found some country boys and girls with their daisy dukes and trucks. Swimming hole paydirt! Even if I didn't find fish, I'd be able to cool off.

What a find this was. Turns out I had found the old mill pond at Calhoun Mill, just outside of Mt. Carmel. The mill is gone, but the dam, pond, and tailrace type area still survive. And boy howdy was it a fishy heaven! I was armed only with a dipnet but turned up more fish than I probably ever had.

The upper approach

SAM_0944.JPG

Downstream to swimming hole

SAM_0971.JPG

Upstream to the dam

SAM_0974.JPG

Not too hot, not too cold

SAM_0959.JPG

Long flowing weeds. Made two passes with the net, got one largemouth.

SAM_0949.JPG

Christmas darter and small blackbanded darter heaven

SAM_0948.JPG

These pics represent about 3 passes of the dipnet

SAM_0951.JPG SAM_0962.JPG

Snailie or flathead? (I'm thinking snailie...)

SAM_0956.JPG

Will add more later today; gotta wrangle girls for school and get to work!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:39 AM

It would be even better with the dam blown or at least cut....

#3 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

It would be even better with the dam blown or at least cut....

agreed

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

Not a juvenile flathead.

#5 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:00 PM

I stayed between the tailrace area and the run upstream of swimming hole. The water was quite swift in the middle, and the bottom was strewn with big rocks. River depth never got more than waist deep. The slower areas to the side still had current, just less of it. There were more aquatic plants here than most places I've played around in. In addition to that neat, long flowing plant up top, this stuff was everywhere...

SAM_0960.JPG

SAM_0966.JPG

The bigger, swifter water produced a new crop of fish. There were still blackbandeds by the bucketful, but they were all much larger. Average size was about 3.5" to 4"; several came in just a shade over 4". These weren't the biggest, but settled in for photo shoot. Hadn't ever noticed a black wedge on one of their dorsals before.

SAM_0968.JPG

SAM_0969.JPG

This turquoise darter was a pleasant surprise.

SAM_0982.JPG

SAM_0985.JPG

Also taken were several cone shaped snails, a cyprinella I couldn't id before it jumped out of the bucket. There were a few others I didn't know as well, but the camera battery crapped out. Will go back and try again soon.
Matt Knepley

#6 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

I think he meant flat bullhead Matt. Both flat and snail are in there and look pretty similar. Photo is definitely one of the two and I would lean towards snails as well.

That is a great spot other Matt. I have never been there. How many turquoise did you get? Did you get the hopkinsi in the plants for the most part? Cyprinella was likely a whitefin since it is by far the most common in the area.

We still need to get out together. We are settling in so I hope to start getting out again in October.

#7 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:31 PM

Now back to this monstrosity...

Normally I agree with the opinions regarding dams expressed by Bruce and Josh. The devastation to natural ecosystems, and human communities, created by dams is not lost on me. I get friggin' nauseous thinking about the damage done to what's left of nature in places like China when a monster dam goes in. I remember watching a whole town in PA have to decided where to move when the Army Corp told them they would be flooding their community in the name of flood control.

But... I can remember reading a book published by Trout Unlimited. They were all for blasting dams sky-high. As long as they were messing up trout and salmon. But if the dams provided habitat for cold water fish where they couldn't have existed before the dam's creation, they seemed quite pleased with them. I remember thinking that was pretty hypocritical. But I have a harder time throwing the stone, now. See, above the Calhoun Mill dam's pond, and below its outflow, the river is much slower. I have serious doubts that the fish that are thriving in the rapids/riffles of the outflow would exist in the numbers they do, or in such good health, without the dam. These are fat and sassy, super numerous darters. There were also faster-water liking bullheads, cyprinellas, suckers, basses, different snails, hellgramites, and likely much more enjoying a very good life there. They are also natives, except for the corbicula. I'm not sure how excited I would be about eliminating the dam and marginalizing their existences now just so I can say things are how they "used to was".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying, with a more educated opinion, that I might not blast the sucker myself. And I certainly have nowhere near the qualifications Bruce and Josh have to judge the merits, or lack thereof, of altering nature's design. I'm just not so sure it's as easy a decision as I used to think it was.

Attached Images

• SAM_0944.JPG

Matt Knepley

#8 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:44 PM

Thanks Dustin, makes more sense.

#9 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

Dustin, I only got the one turquoise. Tried the same area a couple more times, but no dice. The Christmases were all in very close proximity to plants. Several came from this little chute; don't know if they were actually in the plants or just next to them.

SAM_0946.JPG

Many others were along the shorelines or just away from it. If they weren't snugged up to a chute or shore, they were in shallow (1' or less in depth) water. They also had a definite preference for current, but slower current than in the swiftest riffly areas. (That was where the little blackbandeds were.) Definitely a plant connection. Whether emergents like the ones pictured above, or on rock-clingers like the one from early in the post, they were never far from vegetation.

There seemed to be a very clear line drawn between the Christmases and blackbandeds. With all that I caught in that same small riffle, I think I only got both species together once. Otherwise it was a net o' Etheostoma, or a net o' Percina...

You're right, we're going to have to make a trip happen this fall.
Matt Knepley

#10 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

That spot looks perfect for turquoise. I bet a seine would help turn them up from the rocks out in the current. I have always found Christmas either in grass or woody debris. I have to agree that I very rarely get blackbanded and Christmas in the same seine haul from over your way.

#11 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

Looks like an awesome location. Love the Christmas darters. One of the cooler darters we have here in SC in my opinion. Dustin or Matt, how far north have yall caught them? Looking in the book, I see distribution dots up somewhat towards me, which I think I have mapped out to around the Anderson area in Three & Twenty Creek but I am still occasionally scouting for a good location to drop in and see and have yet to find a good spot.

#12 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

You've been with me on my most northern spots there outside McCormick. It would be fun to take a day and chase them north to see how far they go.

#13 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:24 AM

Stephen, that is the most northerly I have found them. That said, I have only ever found them in two other places; Stephens Creek outside of Modoc, and Beaverdam Creek outside of Edgefield. My explorations are hardly exhaustive, however. I think Dustin's proposed field trip sounds like a good idea. I'm curious just how far up they go, too.

I can be in Anderson in about an hour, depending where exactly in it I'm heading. It might make for an afternoon meet-up, too, if schedules align. Probably would be a little harder for Dustin to make it, though.
Matt Knepley

#14 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

Nice stuff Matt K. I see how you could love that spot... but I think the point that some others were making was that if there were no dam at all, then there would be more habitat up an down the stream... not just in the one spot?

I gotta agree with Dustin (not really a bad thing) on the white fins (that's what you should set up in your kiddie pool - thread mixing) and also on the turquoise... we could get them with a seine in the fast water and plenty of kicking. That spot kinda reminds me of the spot on the Apalachee where we carried the girls to keep 'em dry.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#15 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:33 PM

Nice stuff Matt K. I see how you could love that spot... but I think the point that some others were making was that if there were no dam at all, then there would be more habitat up an down the stream... not just in the one spot?

I gotta agree with Dustin (not really a bad thing) on the white fins (that's what you should set up in your kiddie pool - thread mixing) and also on the turquoise... we could get them with a seine in the fast water and plenty of kicking. That spot kinda reminds me of the spot on the Apalachee where we carried the girls to keep 'em dry.

They'd have a definite point if the dam did limit habitat. Thing is, I don't know if there would be. Looks pretty flat and slow above and below. I guess it boils down to how much shoal area they buried with the dam. I suppose if the constructors of the dam were looking for water power, they'd build near a respectable drop in elevation. Does anyone know if they tended to flood a lot of shoal, or build just upstream from them?

Any time you want to help me explore the area more, I'd love the company! It is similar in some ways to that stretch of the Apalachee, but the bottom is even less regular.
Matt Knepley

#16 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

Headed back to these shoals to try to get some pictures and find a few more fish. Managed to do both...

Did a few pass throughs of the same area as before. Tons more blackbanded darters showed up, and plenty of Christmases, though not so many as a couple days ago. One was sporting a pretty massive dorsal hump.

SAM_1003.JPG

Turned up more sunfish today. A couple greenies, a redbreast, and a small, ticked off lookin' fella I assume is a little green.

SAM_1015.JPG

SAM_1020.JPG

SAM_1022.JPG

Got a picture of the cone shaped snails, and some ferocious lookin' water bug that is all over this place.

SAM_1017.JPG

SAM_1019.JPG

The snail likes the fast water and rocks with plants on them. Found a good sight for NA snails, will try to id it there if no one beats me to it.

Hit the faster water, and some channels of its side, and found these critters. Think I have them id-ed but, as always, appreciate the confirmation or rebuttal!

Noturus insignius, margined madtom? Hard to tell from my weak pics, but it appears to have an overhanging jaw.

SAM_1036.JPG

Bluehead chub? Some other Nocomis?

SAM_1031.JPG

SAM_1033.JPG

Hybognathus regius, Eastern silvery minnow?

SAM_1027.JPG

SAM_1029.JPG

Had a blast for a couple hours. Life is good!
Matt Knepley

#17 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

I agree with all your fish IDs. The "long flowing plant" looks like a Potamogeton sp, the seaweed-like one is Podostemum ceratophyllum, and the snail is a Pleurocera sp.

Is that long snout pretty typical for large blackbanded darters? I've only seen them in FL and dont recall seeing that massive shnoz. I wonder is it related to longhead/sickle darter group?

#18 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

Your bug is a dragonfly. Quite predatory and not recommended to take home.

#19 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:09 PM

Thanks, Gerald. I didn't have a clue on those two long plants. Funny you called the one "seaweed-like"; it reminded me of kelp. The blackbandeds do have some lengthy beaks on 'em. Don't really know if it's typical. Michael and I got a couple sizeable ones in GA, but I don't think they were as big as these brutes, and I don't have any other experience to draw from. (Yet...) If you want some, they're here for the having. Can't swing a dead cat in that water and not get one... Don't know if they're subgrouped with longheads. Will look and see if I can find out.

Care to take a stab at these plants?

SAM_0966.JPG

SAM_1009.JPG

SAM_1010.JPG

The Etheostoma hopkinsi seem to love that grassy plant from the bottom two pictures.
Matt Knepley

#20 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:12 PM

Thanks. I wondered about that. They are kinda ominous looking. Funny how many there are there. Seriously, they are some abundant creatures, yet I didn't see so much as a single adult dragonfly either day I was there.
Matt Knepley

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users