Sunfish for a 10 gallon

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Joshaeus_*

Guest_Joshaeus_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

Other than enneacanthus sunfish, are there any species of true sunfish which do fine in a ten gallon? If so, can any of these sunfish have tankmates in that same ten gallon?

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:15 PM

Other than keeping a single O-spot, dollar or bantam, your options are limited. Face it, a ten gallon is a glorified fish bowl. Give it a try though, you don't have much to lose. A sponge filter will filter it. You will only have 20-30 dollars in the set up, and if it fails you can put something else in it or use it for quarantine if you ever need to.

#3 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:05 PM

I did an orangespotted with a whole mess of darters in a 10 gallon, and they got along fine.

#4 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:11 PM

What's wrong with Enneacanthus? And why are they not true sunfish? These are my favorites so I was just wondering....

#5 Guest_Gavinswildlife_*

Guest_Gavinswildlife_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:40 PM

Baby (1-inch, if possible) bluegill, though it will outgrow quickly.

#6 Guest_Orangespotted_*

Guest_Orangespotted_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:05 PM

I wouldn't recommend THIS much crowding but... while my Orangespots were waiting at home for me for two months, there were four of them in a single ten gallon tank, Granted, they were little bitty guys < 2". They were completely fine with the ordeal, and are still spunky beggars. They're adapted to harsh conditions. After seeing how large Skittles (my biggest male Orangespot) got though, it really doesn't seem right to put even a single 4.5 inch fish in a ten gallon... but he was as happy as he could be, all bright and colorful and building nests. The good thing is, if you start with little ones, you have time to decide if you want to move them out when they get larger, since Orangespots seem to grow relatively slowly compared to other sunnies. Best of luck!

#7 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:20 AM

Ten gallon aquariums are my favorite for keeping bantams. They to my eyes are not worthy of distinguishing from the Enneacanthus spp. but are quite different from balance of the "Lepomis" sunfishes when it comes to aspects that interest me. I like to keep them as trios (1 male: 2 females) in a gravel bottom 10-gallon aquarium divided into 1/3 and 2/3 sections by a partition. Make so the 2/3 volume is heavily stocked with submergent plants and both sides can have a fair amount of duckweed. Cut a whole in the partition near front of tank that is large enough for the bantams to swim through. In the smaller open side I like to place a glass observation bowl filled about 1/2 to 2/3's full of sand. Bowl serves as nest and focal point for male. In bare tank male aggression is a problem but cover provided by plants and mobility restriction provided by the partial partition reduces the male's ability to harm females. Normally male going into breeding mode is a problem in such tight confines but with setup described above male will be effectively tethered to the bare side with bowl once he goes into breeding mode. Females will then be able control interactions with male like they could in a much larger water volume. Odds are with good nutrition, proper temperature and lighting you will get spawns off. If a go, then remove females and rear little ones as if male is not there.

Edited by centrarchid, 13 September 2013 - 09:21 AM.

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:50 AM

that sounds like a great set up... would seem like it would work for any sunfish... obviously not in a 10 gallon, but I really like the planted vs bare side idea... and even the divider might be cool with the right material it could look rather natural... I have to figure out how to try this now.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users