transporting by foot (hiking)

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_angus_*

Guest_angus_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:36 PM

Any advice from you hikers out there? Looking for tips and equip suggestions for getting fish home easily/safely. I expect to do most collecting remotely, on foot from my home. Thanks.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:00 PM

Any advice from you hikers out there? Looking for tips and equip suggestions for getting fish home easily/safely. I expect to do most collecting remotely, on foot from my home. Thanks.

You may be able to carry small fish in an empty soda bottle, which has rigidity but weighs little, fits in a pack, and doesn't need much water. The big question is what kind of net(s) you're carrying in terms of easy walking. What species are hoping to collect? I know that NH has a fairly small number of native FW species. (Or, I've been in Alabama for too long....)

#3 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2007 - 05:00 PM

Try some breather bagswrapped in newspaper. Put those in a big plastic bag in a backpack to keep them dry. Don't have to carry a lot of water plus it's real easy to keep track of what you've got. Just make sure you keep some dry newspaper to separate the bags. Can just use a couple larger breather bags depending on how many you're collecting. It also keeps them from banging around on the side of a bucket.

#4 Guest_angus_*

Guest_angus_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2007 - 05:09 PM

You may be able to carry small fish in an empty soda bottle, which has rigidity but weighs little, fits in a pack, and doesn't need much water. The big question is what kind of net(s) you're carrying in terms of easy walking. What species are hoping to collect? I know that NH has a fairly small number of native FW species. (Or, I've been in Alabama for too long....)

I guess I'm asking how to get the fish home in the best possible health...not worried about myself. Are you saying a fish can survive in a soda bottle for 2 hours? 3 hours? More? Are there any tips on keeping them healthy?

(And I'd like to keep dip nets out of this discussion, as they're mostly illegal in NH.)

#5 Guest_angus_*

Guest_angus_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2007 - 05:14 PM

Try some breather bagswrapped in newspaper. Put those in a big plastic bag in a backpack to keep them dry. Don't have to carry a lot of water plus it's real easy to keep track of what you've got. Just make sure you keep some dry newspaper to separate the bags. Can just use a couple larger breather bags depending on how many you're collecting. It also keeps them from banging around on the side of a bucket.

Thanks. Any good source to buy the bags? Also, will the fish be ok traveling like this for a while?

#6 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2007 - 05:28 PM

I might carry a vial of hydrogen peroxide with me. I have succssfully used it before to revive oxygen-deprived fish that were on their way to the big pond in the sky. I don't have a dosage to recommend, I just added a few drops until they recovered. I wouldn't rely on this as the way to get the fish back, but just in case of emergency.

#7 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2007 - 05:32 PM

I've kept them for up to a week on trips. Bring extras in case of leaks. You can get them from Novalek out of CA 800 877 7387 or 510 782 4058.

It seems they have changed a bit as the bags don't seem to have the same sticky feeling to them but they still work. On spiny fish double bag for cats I cover one bag with newspaper and put that in another breather bag.

#8 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:35 PM

If you use breathing bags, make sure and keep them stored in a cloth bag not a plastic bag since the plastic will not allow respiration.

I think breathing bags would be the best alternative. Regular water changes would help for and extended trip but sloshing might be your biggest enemy.

Good luck and have fun!

#9 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2007 - 12:17 AM

Any good source to buy the bags?

http://www.aquabid.com/

#10 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2007 - 12:36 PM

Kordon breathing bags are the best for transport. id suggest kosher salt or rock salt, 2 teasp/gal in your collecting bucket will help reduce osmotic stress. the adrenaline rush of being caught and handled can make fish lose their ions quickly, causing fin rot and other problems over the next couple days.

some folks also put a 1-inch square piece of "polyfilter" in each bag to adsorb ammonia; i havent tried this. can get polyfilter in 4 x 8 or 12 x12 inch sheets online or occasionally in petshops.

i never double-bag B-bags. if the inner one leaks between the 2 layers then the fish suffocates.
with med or large B-bags you can tie a knot in each bottom corner so the bag is nearly round; then fin spines are less likely to poke through. or, use drink bottles for spiny fish.

>>

If you use breathing bags, make sure and keep them stored in a cloth bag not a plastic bag since the plastic will not allow respiration. I think breathing bags would be the best alternative. Regular water changes would help for and extended trip but sloshing might be your biggest enemy.

Good luck and have fun!

#11 Guest_angus_*

Guest_angus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:11 AM

thanks everyone.

#12 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:46 PM

If you use breathing bags, make sure and keep them stored in a cloth bag not a plastic bag since the plastic will not allow respiration.

I use a plastic bag, but wrap the breather bags in news paper to keep them from touching plastic to plastic. The large plastic bag ends up being openned and shut to add new bags with new fish so air isn't a problem. In between closed up it keeps the filled and wrapped bags dry. If you're hiking a while just open the large bag to allow for air flow. Remember if bag touches bag or some other impervious material or if wet it cuts down or eliminates the gas exchange.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users