Photo

Right, wrong, or in-between?

8 replies to this topic

#1 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:31 AM

I have really, really enjoyed getting involved with NANFA, and hope to become more so as time moves on. I value the ability to better learn about, and connect with, our native finny fauna. A large part of that endeavor is sampling local waters and occasionally keeping some fishes for home aquaria.

Yesterday I posted an id request for a pretty little fish I found one county south of me. From NANFA-based experience and study I had no trouble identifying it to its genus (Notropis) but could not get the species down in the field. I did know that there was only one threatened Notropis that bears even a passing resemblance to "my" fish, but that other fish lives across state in an unconnected drainage. Through experience with the genus I knew what would be required to help it thrive in an aquarium. I could not meet its requirements, so did not collect any. If I had adequate living space I would have, though.

I'm wondering now, though, if I'm suffering a little hubris.

I have a permit issued by my state dnr to sample, collect, house, and sacrifice native fishes in the drainage in question. The only restriction on my permit involves robust redhorse, a species not likely to be mistaken for a Notropis. Legally I am within rights to keep the fish in question.

Ethically, I thought I was within rights, too. I'm not so sure now, though I still think I am. Reading through NANFA's code of ethics, I did nothing that would violate those. Reading the field id requirements from the id assistance page might be different, but I don't know. Part of acquiring knowledge is understanding just exactly what you know, and not mistaking that which you don't know for a faculty you have. Part of acquiring knowledge is the responsibility to use it wisely, or not use it at all. In good faith and clean conscience I would have kept those fish, confident in my ability to rule out that doing so might pose harm to the species and/or their environment. I also had solid reason to believe they would thrive under my home care.

So, one heck of a long set up later, what is the opinion of my peers, who are mostly my betters in icthyological matters? Legally, I'm in the clear. Ethically, the more important concern, do you think I would have been?

I've got my fire-retardant waders on, so torch me if you feel you need to. Just please don't napalm me, [-o< , I like it here!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#2 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:48 AM

Forum rules are in place in order not to incriminate NANFA or the poster in ethical or legal issues. We have all been in your position and we would likely all have made the decision you would have made if we had the knowledge you have. Native fish sampling requires knowledge of the laws, protected species and, most importantly, common sense. If you were certain the the species you had found was not protected, and in SC it is hard to find a species that is, and you have the means to properly care for it and you have taken it legally, then I see no reason whatsoever for you not to take it and enjoy it.

#3 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:08 AM

Thanks, Dustin. That is how I feel about it, but ethics can be tricky things. Seeings how I'm more inclined to agree with Socrates than the Sophists, I didn't want to be acting hypocritically.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#4 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

Forum rules are in place in order not to incriminate NANFA or the poster in ethical or legal issues. We have all been in your position and we would likely all have made the decision you would have made if we had the knowledge you have. Native fish sampling requires knowledge of the laws, protected species and, most importantly, common sense. If you were certain the the species you had found was not protected, and in SC it is hard to find a species that is, and you have the means to properly care for it and you have taken it legally, then I see no reason whatsoever for you not to take it and enjoy it.

I agree with this statement

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

I agree with Dustin as well, as usual.

#6 Guest_EricaLyons_*

Guest_EricaLyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:35 PM

My own personal ethics: I don't collect a fish unless
  • I am absolutely positive of what it is.
  • It is abundant in the wild, and not listed on any endangered or threatened lists
  • I can breed it in captivity
That's just me. And you all probably knew that already. I'm not shy with my 'ooh, how do you breed that fish?' posts. And I'm probably really far out from normal.

My current fish setups:
55 gallon tank for guppies (from four different captive bred lines) and heterandria formosa (from captive bred stock)
75 gallon tank for neolamprologus multifasciatus (from four different captive bred colonies) and xiphophorus montezumae de rio ojo caliente from a colony that has been captive bred since 1983
75 gallon tank for dario dario (most likely wild caught) and Elassoma gilberti (from a captive bred population)
All my tanks are breeding colonies.

That's probably not normal, is what I'm saying, but I have my own personal code of ethics and if I'm not able to breed a fish, I don't keep it. Otherwise I would have soooo many darters and orangespotted sunfish, you have no idea.

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:07 PM

I'm not really a breeder, but I do believe you are well within ethical guidelines. Frankly, collectors, such as we are, are not the problem.

#8 Guest_Rainbowrunner_*

Guest_Rainbowrunner_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:26 AM

Bulldozers & runoff are the problem.

#9 Guest_Khai Wan_*

Guest_Khai Wan_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

The same with me. I only keep fish that I can breed.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users