Photo

White Tubercled Crayfish

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:56 PM

Had fun finally meeting Stephen Beaman and getting out in the water with him. Water levels were not particularly favorable for our main objective, so we hit some small tribs with modest success. Will write up a report on our upstate outing soon, but wanted to get this fella posted for you all to see. While Stephen was turning up madtoms, I ran across this cray. The big fella was every bit of 4.5 inches long, but fairly mild mannered. Guess when you're this big you don't have to worry about acting bad...

Attached File  SAM_1202.JPG   417.53KB   3 downloads

Attached File  SAM_1203.JPG   416.97KB   2 downloads

Attached File  SAM_1207.JPG   415.78KB   2 downloads

Attached File  SAM_1209.JPG   412.1KB   1 downloads

Attached File  SAM_1211.JPG   417.27KB   1 downloads

Attached File  SAM_1212.JPG   417.8KB   1 downloads

Attached File  SAM_1213.JPG   419.17KB   1 downloads

I hadn't ever seen a cray like this, and figured he was worth a few pictures. Stephen simply referred to it as "lobster". If I got the id wrong, please correct me.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:13 PM

YOu ahve enough pictures there, you should be able to ID him... check out this site... Chris Skelton in s good friend of NANFA... http://www.gcsu.edu/...ishes/index.htm
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:46 PM

C'mon Matt, You know what we need by now .... Lo...CAAAAY...tion !!!

I'll guess its one of the Procambarus, but that's as far as I dare go.

#4 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:56 PM

I didn't notice all the orange on it when I saw it in person, I was focused more on the white tubercles I guess. That's definitely a cool crayfish. Lobster and crayfish that large are basically the same thing....

Gerald, to answer for Matt, the location was from the Savannah Drainage, trib of Three & Twenty Creek, in a creek called Little Garvin Creek.

#5 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:00 PM

Whoops, sorry Gerald. Don't know where my head was at... But my feet were in a trib of Three and Twenty Creek in Anderson County, SC. Great minds must think alike, because that's exactly who I used to come up with my id, Michael. Thought I had put that on there, too. Guess I am tired. See Stephen got it for me before I could finish typing this. Thanks, Stephen.
Matt Knepley

#6 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

Whoops, sorry Matt. I didnt realize "white tubercled crayfish" WAS a species name -- I though it was just your description, and a good one at that.

#7 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:32 AM

Whoops, sorry Matt. I didnt realize "white tubercled crayfish" WAS a species name -- I though it was just your description, and a good one at that.

Don't give my naming skills too much credit. When that fella first started waving its claws around, the species name I gave it had a couple "colorful" qualifiers...
Matt Knepley

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:54 AM

Yea, I was in a class with Chris Skelton and I think he indicated that WTC was one of the the most common species in Georgia.

And Hey Gerald you should see some of the other things that pass for common names for crayfish
Variable Crayfish
Ambiguous Crayfish
and
Sly Crayfish
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users