DIY Minnow Traps

25 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_augustaranger_*

Guest_augustaranger_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:13 PM

Anybody ever use homemade minnow traps made from 2 plastic soda bottles?

Here's a link:

http://www.boyslife....hop/minnows.pdf

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:23 PM

Here's a link:

A long time ago my brother and I made crude minnow traps very much like what's in the article. They worked great for gambusia, small mummichogs/fundulids and small mollies along the South Carolina coast.

#3 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:55 PM

You can make them out of a single pop bottle, from 16oz on up. Cut the top off right where it starts to neck down from the largest diameter, and invert the resulting funnel into the cylindrical part. Attach with a needle and strong thread - you can sew right through the thin plastic real easily. You only need to secure it in 2-3 places, makes it easier to remove the minnows later. Punch some small holes in the bottom, tie a string on, and voila - almost free minnow trap. 20oz water bottles (the ones with the ridges) work especially well.

I've seen more elaborate versions in China (with bamboo rim that secures the funnel), but this is the simplest you can get. This is one heck of a lot easier than elaborately woven bamboo traps that were used to catch loaches historically, and seem to have replaced the bamboo traps in all but the most remote regions. The pics below are of a traditional bamboo trap being emptied, and of the end result... mmm good!

cheers,
Dave

Attached Images

• trap.jpg
  • mmmm.jpg

#4 Guest_augustaranger_*

Guest_augustaranger_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2007 - 05:51 PM

I sure that would be a tasty treat, but I think I'll pass.

A quick glance at the GA law indicates that there may be a problem trapping "bait fish" in freshwater. Any opinions?

#5 Guest_bearskookums_*

Guest_bearskookums_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:24 PM

I made a similar soda bottle trap and went out and put it in a creek...with a cord attached to a stick. The next day I went back it was gone. :evil: either someone took it or I just littered the creek with trash lol...wont work well in moving water unless its well secured and weighted down with rocks.

#6 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2007 - 06:34 PM

You can make them out of a single pop bottle, from 16oz on up. Cut the top off right where it starts to neck down from the largest diameter, and invert the resulting funnel into the cylindrical part. Attach with a needle and strong thread - you can sew right through the thin plastic real easily. You only need to secure it in 2-3 places, makes it easier to remove the minnows later. Punch some small holes in the bottom, tie a string on, and voila - almost free minnow trap. 20oz water bottles (the ones with the ridges) work especially well.

I've seen more elaborate versions in China (with bamboo rim that secures the funnel), but this is the simplest you can get. This is one heck of a lot easier than elaborately woven bamboo traps that were used to catch loaches historically, and seem to have replaced the bamboo traps in all but the most remote regions. The pics below are of a traditional bamboo trap being emptied, and of the end result... mmm good!

cheers,
Dave

Thats the trap I use I must have around 6 traplines with 4 traps per line in the creeks and lakes around here works very well if you punch a few holes in them I use dog food for bait does anything else work well like that?

#7 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2007 - 11:39 AM

I've tried these before in ponds. Usually they are empty in the morning. I might try again though. Any advice on baiting them and what I can catch and from where?

#8 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:37 PM

I've tried these before in ponds. Usually they are empty in the morning. I might try again though. Any advice on baiting them and what I can catch and from where?

I use dogfood and sometimes bread in lakes what I cach are baby sunfish and monsquito fish if I use my real minnow trap I sometimes catch shad when I got to large lakes and the random snake here and there

#9 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:37 PM

Would catfood work? I don't have a dog :) .

#10 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:22 AM

Would catfood work? I don't have a dog :) .

I've used cat food before (kibble-type). I put it in a nylon stocking so that it didn't dissove out of the trap. It was pretty effective. Don't know if it was more effective than other types of bait, though. I have caught crayfish this way, too.

#11 Guest_KoiGuy_*

Guest_KoiGuy_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2007 - 10:31 PM

I'm trying to find spots to use my traps in san leandro, Cali.
fresh & salt water.
i went to the marina but it was hard to get to the water cause of
slippery rocks.

#12 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2007 - 11:38 PM

hey KoiGuy,

Be warned that traps are illegal in most or all freshwater in CA without a scientific collecting permit, and only legal in saltwater for a short list of critters including staghorn sculpin ("bullheads"), topsmelt, jacksmelt, herring, and shrimp (check the marine regs booklet for the exact list)...but as long as you throw other stuff back they're still legal. Try setting just before the peak flood so they fish during the slack tide, that gives you a couple of hours where you don't have to traverse mudflats or such to get to them, and a lot of neat things seem to come in close to the shore on the high tide...

cheers,
Dave

I'm trying to find spots to use my traps in san leandro, Cali.
fresh & salt water.
i went to the marina but it was hard to get to the water cause of
slippery rocks.

#13 Guest_KoiGuy_*

Guest_KoiGuy_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2007 - 12:59 AM

hey KoiGuy,

Be warned that traps are illegal in most or all freshwater in CA without a scientific collecting permit, and only legal in saltwater for a short list of critters including staghorn sculpin ("bullheads"), topsmelt, jacksmelt, herring, and shrimp (check the marine regs booklet for the exact list)...but as long as you throw other stuff back they're still legal. Try setting just before the peak flood so they fish during the slack tide, that gives you a couple of hours where you don't have to traverse mudflats or such to get to them, and a lot of neat things seem to come in close to the shore on the high tide...

cheers,
Dave

Yeah, lots of things are illegal in Ca.
I’d love to catch small eels too.
I checked the marina @ san leandro, no one was catching fish & there were no trappers.
There is a section of mud flats on the north side.
I wonder how long I have to wait to catch something in the trap.
Maybe I should get a net, cause its faster…
Thanks for the advice Dave!

#14 Guest_KoiGuy_*

Guest_KoiGuy_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2007 - 01:39 AM

http://www.monsterfi...p;highlight=net

"2007-2008 freshwater fishing regulations and dip nets and traps are allowed for collecting bait fish and crawfish, no limits on catch only that the dip nets cannot exceed 6 feet in greatest dimension(not including handle) and traps can't exceed 3 feet in greatest dimension."

#15 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2007 - 11:39 PM

Hey KoiGuy,

If you read a little further in the regs booklet, you get the additional info - essentially you can't take any native fw fishes as baitfish (other than lampreys!!), and there are even more restrictions on where and when you can do this. There's additional blurbs on crayfish later on in the booklet too.

Sounds like someone on monsterkeepers just read the part they wanted to hear...

Cheers,
Dave

From the 2007-2008 CA DFG regs pdf:

"1.63. Movement of Live Fish.
Except as provided in sections 4.00 through 4.30 and 230, live fin fish may not be transported alive from the water where taken."

"4.05. Bait Fish Capture Methods.
(a) Approved bait fish may be taken only by hand, with a dip net, or with traps not over three feet in greatest dimension. Such bait fish may not be purchased, bartered, sold, transferred or traded; or transported alive from the location where taken. Any other species taken shall be returned to the water immediately. Traps need not be closely attended. Dip net use: A dip net must be hand held, and the motion of a dip net shall be caused only by the physical effort of the operator. A dip net may not be moved through the water by any mechanical force or motorized device.
(b) Within the area bounded by Highway 111 on the north and east and Highway 86 on the west and south, approved bait fish may be taken only with dip nets with diagonal mesh size one inch and greater, or by traps in water greater than four feet in depth. Traps may not exceed three feet in greatest dimension. Approved bait fish may not be taken by hand within this area.

4.10. Bait Fish Use in the Southern District.
Except as provided below, live or dead fin fish shall not be used or possessed for use as bait in the Southern District:
(a) Dead threadfin shad and live or dead longjaw mudsucker may be used in all Southern District waters.
(b) Live threadfin shad may be used only at the location where taken.
© Golden shiner and red shiner may be used in San Diego County.
4.15. Bait Fish Use in the Colorado River District.
Except as provided below, live or dead fin fish shall not be used or possessed for use as bait in the Colorado River District:
(a) Live or dead golden shiner, fathead minnow, red shiner, mosquitofish, longjaw mudsucker, threadfin shad, goldfish, sunfish, molly, and dead carp may be used in all Colorado River
District waters.
(b) Live carp may be used only at the location where taken.
© Tilapia may be used in the Salton Sea, and may be taken for bait only within the area bounded by Highway 11 on the north and east and Highway 86 on the west and south (except
as in subsection (d) below.
(d) Tilapia may be taken and used for bait in the Colorado River and its associated backwaters only within the area bounded by Palo Verde Diversion Dam south to the Morelos Dam. NOTE: See subsection 4.05(b).

4.20. Bait Fish Use in the Valley and South Central Districts.
Except as provided below, live or dead fin fish shall not be used or possessed for use as bait in the Valley or South Central District:
(a) Live or dead golden shiner, fathead minnow, mosquitofish, longjaw mudsucker, and staghorn sculpin, and dead threadfin shad, Mississippi silverside and lamprey may be used in all Valley and South Central District waters except those listed in subsection (f) below.
(b) Red shiner may be used only in the Valley District north of Interstate 580 and Highway 132.
© Yellowfin gobies may be used in the Valley District only in those areas described in subsections (d)(1)-(3) below.
(d) In addition, except for trout and salmon, fin fish lawfully taken in the following waters by angling or with bait fish methods approved in Section 4.05 may be used only in the waters where taken:
(1) Carquinez Strait and Suisun Bay and their tributaries and saltwater tributaries.
(2) Sacramento River and tidewater of tributaries downstream from the Highway 32 bridge near Hamilton City, Feather River downstream from the Oroville Hatchery Fish Barrier Dam, Yuba River downstream from Daguerre Point Dam, and American River downstream from Nimbus Dam.
(3) San Joaquin River and tidewater of tributaries downstream from Interstate 5 bridge.
(e) Live threadfin shad, Mississippi silverside and lamprey may be used only at the location where taken.
(f) Fin fish may not be used in Keller Lake (Glenn Co.), Letts Lake (Colusa Co.), Merced Lake (San Francisco Co.), Upper and Lower Plaskett Meadow Ponds (Glenn Co.), Whale Rock Reservoir (San Luis Obispo Co.).

4.25. Bait Fish Use in the North Central District.
Except as provided below, live or dead fin fish shall not be used or possessed for use as bait in the North Central District:
(a) Golden shiner, fathead minnow, red shiner, mosquitofish, longjaw mudsucker and staghorn sculpin may be used in Napa and Sonoma counties, in Marin County except for Stafford Lake, in Lake County except for the Eel River and its tributaries, and in Lake Mendocino (Mendocino Co.).
(b) Live threadfin shad, Mississippi silverside and lamprey may be used only at the location where taken.

4.30. Bait Fish Use in the Sierra and North Coast Districts.
Except as provided below, live or dead fin fish shall not be used or possessed for use as bait in the Sierra and North Coast Districts.
(a) In Donner, Fallen Leaf and Tahoe lakes Lahontan redside, tui chub, Tahoe sucker, Lahontan speckled dace, mountain sucker and Paiute sculpin may be used only in the same lake where taken.
(b) In Shasta Lake only golden shiner, red shiner, fathead minnows, mosquitofish and threadfin shad may be used or possessed for use as bait.
© Crayfish shall not be used for bait in the Pit River and all tributaries between Pit 3 Dam (Lake Britton) and the Fall River-Cassel Road Bridge at Fall River Mills, California (includes Hat Creek and Fall River and their tributaries)."

#16 Guest_KoiGuy_*

Guest_KoiGuy_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:41 PM

they sure make it easy for you huh?

#17 Guest_Danyal_*

Guest_Danyal_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:27 PM

i'm the guy who started that thread. you're right that i'm not very familiar with legal language, i see that it says that minnow traps and dip nets are not illegal but it is regulating what fish you can remove from the water. what does it mean by fin fish? any fish with fins or some specific group of fish?
<There's additional blurbs on crayfish later on in the booklet too.>
i'm looking at 5.35, the section on crayfish and it appears to say that there is no limit on crayfish catch but there are certain bodies of water where they are protected.
so what species of native fish am i allowed to collect legally, there's got to be more than lampreys.

#18 Guest_Danyal_*

Guest_Danyal_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:30 PM

oh and i used to use a plastic soda bottle trap like that to catch mosquito minnows in a small drainage creek when i was a little kid, wasn't nearly as pretty as the one in the link but it worked well enough.

#19 Guest_KoiGuy_*

Guest_KoiGuy_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:34 AM

fun stuff

#20 Guest_bdgardner_*

Guest_bdgardner_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:14 PM

Here's a link:

I made a few of these last year, out of 2 liter bottles and even out of a 16 ounce water bottle. I used a stapler from my desk to sorta "seal" them.

The first time I tried to use them, the Arkansas River was kinda low, and pretty clear. I put some rocks in them to weigh them down, and pointed the top upstream, and baited them with bread.

I walked down stream, did some fishing, and checked them after about half an hour, and had a handful of mosquito fish, and some minnows, which I used for feeders.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users