LED DIY Project

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

After getting frustrated at the replacement frequency and expense of a few odd sized fluorescent tubes, and remembering a few other threads here, I decided to experiment with some DIY LEDs myself. I already have a couple of tanks that have Marineland LED fixtures on them. Although they have been durable, and I have been satisfied with their performance over the past year or so, these are rather expensive units.

For my experiment in LED aquarium lighting, I am using the shell of a regular shop light that apparently had a burned out ballast.
1+standard+fluorescent.jpg
I disassembled and discarded the ballast and the tube fixtures and had replaced it with a 12 volt 60 watt waterproof power supply (purchased on line for $25).
3+open+it+up.jpg

4+new+power+supply.jpg.jpg
Since this was a test project, I also added a terminal block on the end of the fixture (this was not really needed and all of the connections could have been made with wirenuts inside the fixture).
5+wiring+block.jpg
Now for the actual LEDs; I purchase a 5 meter spool of 600 LEDs on line for $25. These have the advantage of coming ready to use with double stick tape on the back. They also can be cut to any length. I chose to cut 4 pieces 46” long. This is what fit on the fixture and also almost used the entire spool.
13+LEDs.jpg
There were very simple and easy to use solder points on the LED strip and I was able to solder short pieces of 20AWG wire to the strip with no problems.
8+soldered.jpg
Pealing the backing off and applying the strips to the old fixture was simple and soon I was ready to wire them up and test them out. Twisted all the positive ends together and all the negatives the same and put them on the terminal block
11+all+wired+up.jpg
and… let there be light!
20+test+all+four.jpg
Next we have to see what they look like on the aquarium.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:09 PM

Now to see how this looks/works on an aquarium. This 55 in the basement is currently lit with a standard shop fixture of 2 x 48 inch 40 watt fluorescent tubes.
Posted Image

And then replacing that with 4 x 46 inch x 2.9 watts per foot LEDs powered with a 60 watt power supply.
Posted Image

Now, I know that the camera is auto correcting a bit here, but I think I like the results.

A quick comparison:
  • Marineland 36-48” 114.99 on Dr. F&S website has 16 white and 8 blue LEDs claims to be 1200 lumens and runs at 24 watts (I am using this on my 75 gallon tank currently).
  • Fluorescent shoplight with two T12 bulbs 2600 lumens each(?) and draws a total of 80 watts
  • DIY unit is 48” shoplight with 560 cool white LEDs. Labeled at 2.9 watts/ft so approx. 44.5 watts. Labeled at 144 lumens per foot so approx. 2200 lumens. Price $25 power supply plus $25 LEDs is $50 (plus some time, solder, and the useless shoplight carcass).

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

Wow, that looks much better. Care to build me one? :biggrin:

#4 Guest_EricaLyons_*

Guest_EricaLyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

A quick comparison:

• Marineland 36-48” 114.99 on Dr. F&S website has 16 white and 8 blue LEDs claims to be 1200 lumens and runs at 24 watts (I am using this on my 75 gallon tank currently).
  • Fluorescent shoplight with two T12 bulbs 2600 lumens each(?) and draws a total of 80 watts
  • DIY unit is 48” shoplight with 560 cool white LEDs. Labeled at 2.9 watts/ft so approx. 44.5 watts. Labeled at 144 lumens per foot so approx. 2200 lumens. Price $25 power supply plus $25 LEDs is $50 (plus some time, solder, and the useless shoplight carcass).

That is very interesting.

I run two 32 watt T8 fluorescent four foot long fixtures over my four foot long tanks. The fixtures each have two T8 bulbs, so each tank has a total of four 2750 lumen (per bulb) Daylight Deluxe 32 watt T8 fluorescent bulbs over it. That means I've got 150 lumens per gallon over my 75 gallon tanks and 200 lumens per gallon over my 55 gallon tank. The plants grow great.

Cost:
The fixtures are $10 each at walmart or $20 each at home depot
Bulbs are $10 for two or $32 for 10. (I've got lots of tanks and replace all my bulbs once a year, so I went ahead and bought 10.)
Total cost is $40 per tank.

I have my lights on a timer for three hours in the morning before I go to work and five or six hours in the afternoon/evening when I get home from work. The timer is really useful because since I started using one, I haven't had any problems with algae growth.

I don't know much about wiring so I'm not sure how many watts my fixture draws. It says 32 watt fixture but there are two bulbs in it, each rated for 32. Does that mean it draws 32 watts total? Or 64? I don't know. I've got two of those fixtures over each tank so that means I could be using either 64 or 128 watts for my 11,000 lumens per tank.

I have zero access to (or skill with) solder so I'm not really capable of repeating this LED experiment. But it's fun to see what everyone's doing with their tank lighting, even I can't build one myself. Thank you for sharing. It's fun thinking about lighting :)

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

Erica, you could learn to solder wires very easily. It is very simple, and I am sure there are some video's on youtube.

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:36 PM

I don't know much about wiring so I'm not sure how many watts my fixture draws. It says 32 watt fixture but there are two bulbs in it, each rated for 32. Does that mean it draws 32 watts total? Or 64? I don't know. I've got two of those fixtures over each tank so that means I could be using either 64 or 128 watts for my 11,000 lumens per tank.

Yes, it does mean 32 watts per tube, so I would say you are using 128 watts to run your lights.

What I do have a question about is how the lumens are calculated. I mean back in the day we would use an integrating sphere for a regular shaped bulb. But this calculates all the light coming out of the bulb in all the directions (which is useful for a lightbulb to illuminate your living room). I am not sure how that would work for a fluorescent tube. and if the light is going in all directions, then maybe the directionality of the LEDs is giving me some additional benefit. I mean it looks very much brighter... and a little it "bluer"... coming no doubt from the 6000K rating on the LEDs.

And I agree with Matt... soldering is a relatively straight forward skill... well within the range of a chemical engineer!

And regards your "costs" I would add to them fluorescent tube replacements and occasional ballast replacements and the associated frustration costs. LEDs are much more long lived and the 12V power supplies likewise very reliable.

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

I would like to do something similar, but with high-power Cree LED's. I am looking for more of a specular effect (think "sunbeams"), as opposed to soft, even light (cloudy day).

#8 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

I would like to do something similar, but with high-power Cree LED's. I am looking for more of a specular effect (think "sunbeams"), as opposed to soft, even light (cloudy day).

Me too, I want that sunbeam look

#9 Guest_michifish_*

Guest_michifish_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

When playing around with electrical stuff it's nice to know how much power things actually use so I bought one of these.
http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B00009MDBU
I bought mine at Menards which is the great Lakes region version of Lowes/Home Depot.

#10 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

I did a series of posts in 2011 beginning with exploring low powered LEDs and measuring the output at the bottom of the aquarium and ended up with a final project using high powered Cree LEDs. The parts list, construction, measured results and observations are detailed here in post # 60:

http://forum.nanfa.o...__40#entry93828

These LEDs did indeed provide a 'sun beam' effect as the ripples from the top of the tank could be seen displaying over the bottom of the aquarium in waves. The system has been functioning now since 2011 without a hitch.

Here is a look at it's completion.

Posted Image

Usil

#11 Guest_EricaLyons_*

Guest_EricaLyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:36 PM

Usil, did you enter the AGA aquascaping competition? Your tank is gorgeous.

#12 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:56 PM

No, Erica, did not enter but thanks for compliment.

Usil

#13 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:22 PM

Ditto that - NICE tank.

#14 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

Michael, do you have an update on this tank and how the LEDs are doing?

#15 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:34 PM

I could do one... the tank in general looks very good and the LEDs are working fine... I guess I should compare plant growth... or take another picture or something... but in general I am very satisfied.

#16 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

Here you go... I dont like this picture (because I have not done my java moss clean-out in a while and it is too dark green and light sucking). But you can see that I have a lot more chain sword now (see it stilling up in the back?)... so it must be growing... cause not only do I have more, but I sent a couple of people a bunch back in November... actually eliminated all of it from the front to create more sandy area for the N. amplamala to graze in (they seem to do better when they can do some sand sifting). Now it is re-invading the sand in the front.

Posted Image

#17 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:05 PM

Looks very natural, but I need to wait for Erica to comment before I make an educated conclusion.

#18 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:46 PM

The results seem to be great! I can't wait to get my tanks equipped! And Skipjack, you have a great point. Graphs do say that the LEDs shouldn't be growing plants as well as they are. Plastic, maybe?

#19 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:28 AM

Looks very natural, but I need to wait for Erica to comment before I make an educated conclusion.

Me too, otherwise I shan't know what to think :-) One hates to appear foolish by penning an incorrect opinion.

#20 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

Does the light quality of LEDs deteriorate over time the way fluorescents do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users