Native Plant Profiles/Success Stories

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Orangespotted_*

Guest_Orangespotted_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:28 PM

Hello everyone!

I recently became frustrated at my lack of ability to identify native aquatic plant species and created for myself a list of possible submersible candidates by cross-referencing USDA plants obligate wetland species with genus names of known aquarium plants (my botany teacher would be proud!). This has helped me identify a few plants I was uncertain about; for instance, a cute light green Bacopa resembling plant I have had for a while in my aquarium has finally been identified as Lindernia dubia, yellowseed false pimpernel. I had never heard of such a thing before! However, the list was a lot of work to create, and is not a complete list. This has given me an idea: we here on NANFA could create a journal or profile list of native aquatic plant species members have successfully kept in aquariums and under what conditions. I imagine individual experiences could make good AC articles and on the grander scheme of things I hope it would help spread awareness of our surprisingly diverse wetland flora.,

By the way, if any of you remember me posting to ask about the Alisma subcordatum I had, here's what it started to look like when I planted the fat root alone into the substrate (the grasslike plant near front right, next to the wood piece): Posted Image

I don't have any pictures of what it turned into later on but it became a very cool Sagittaria-like plant with curved lime green grasslike blades ~5" long that widened into a slight spoon shape at the tips. Very cool, I wish I still had it. Hope this inspires you to go out there and try out some plants of your own! Remember to have a good idea of what protected/invasive species are in your state before you go collecting, and keep in mind very little plant material is usually enough to establish a colony in an aquarium if it is indeed suitable. I'd love to hear about them!

#2 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

Zebra danios, Neon tetras, and Fancy Guppies! Oh my! I've heard rumor that there might be 1 or 2 cool species of stream fish in Iowa that would look great with your native plants.....

All joking aside, your plants look good. Mind telling us what they are kept in (aside from the black gravel, if anything else?), and the type of lighting?
Nick L.

#3 Guest_Orangespotted_*

Guest_Orangespotted_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

That picture was from a long time ago, littlen. I only have native fishes now, and no longer have that tank anymore. The lighting that was in the 10 gallon was effective for keeping most native plants I encountered, a pair of 13-watt compact flourescents from a hardware store plus being positioned near a south-facing window.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users