Photo

This sounds like good black bass news...

16 replies to this topic

#1 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:11 AM

...but there are a few details I wonder about. Economically, will the immediate doubling of availability be good for commercial fishermen's prices? Is the Magnussen-Stevens Act, as it is presented here, as common sense and practical as it appears? http://sero.nmfs.noa...html/index.html
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:33 PM

Drat, I thought you were going to tell me that there was a LMB extirpation event going on...

#3 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:27 AM

Poor Micropterus salmoides; the Rodney Dangerfield of natives...
Matt Knepley

#4 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:13 AM

Poor Micropterus salmoides; the Rodney Dangerfield of natives...

He'd get more respect if he didn't eat all the fish who respected him.

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:29 AM

Naw, he would get more respect if he was not so dumb. I swear you could catch one with a G.I. Joe action figure on a hook.

#6 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:41 PM

Naw, he would get more respect if he was not so dumb. I swear you could catch one with a G.I. Joe action figure on a hook.

Ohio bass must be seriously dumber than the bass I know. Although, to be honest, I've never tried fishing with G.I. Joe. Darth Vader, yes, but not G.I. Joe. :biggrin:
Matt Knepley

#7 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:57 PM

Naw LMB are stupid everywhere. Not even worth targeting IMO, unless it is at night, then you at least get an adrenaline rush when they blast a topwater lure 3 feet from shore.

#8 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:06 PM

Ohio bass must be seriously dumber than the bass I know. Although, to be honest, I've never tried fishing with G.I. Joe. Darth Vader, yes, but not G.I. Joe. :biggrin:

I agree! Maybe I need to start fishing tournaments in Ohio!

#9 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:09 PM

Naw LMB are stupid everywhere. Not even worth targeting IMO, unless it is at night, then you at least get an adrenaline rush when they blast a topwater lure 3 feet from shore.

Stock your livewell with five, 6+ pounders and tell me it's not an adrenaline rush not only landing all of those but also taking everyone elses money at the weigh in! haha

#10 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

Yeah, then dumping them half dead, hundreds at the same place. Awesome! All the time hoping that you might pay for that boat.

#11 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:01 PM

You'd be surprised at how many are not even close to death. Tournament anglers do everything they can to keep the fish alive. Their weights depend on it. Most tournaments give penalties for dead fish. Because of that anglers have multiple aerators and they put additives in their livewell that oxygenate the water and help the fish keep their slime coats. Sure being in a livewell stresses them, and you'll have some deaths, but that's fishing. A lot of dead fish get cleaned and eaten. They aren't just killed and thrown away to be wasted.

I don't see how releasing them in one spot hurts anything. They don't all stay there. You're not going to go there a day later and catch all the fish that were released there.

#12 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

You seem to like this sport, I am not a fan. We will have to agree to disagree.

#13 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

Touche. We were getting off topic of the black sea bass anyway ;)

#14 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:27 PM

Sorry, no offense intended. We all have our interests.

#15 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:33 PM

Not offended at all. Hope you weren't offended by anything I said, no intent there either. I'm pretty passionate about bass fishing, though at the same time I'm pretty passionate about fish conservation, so it can get tricky for me at times.

#16 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:44 PM

Stock your livewell with five, 6+ pounders and tell me it's not an adrenaline rush not only landing all of those but also taking everyone elses money at the weigh in! haha

In my experience largemouths are like dead weight on a live until you try and pull them out of the water. It's smallmouths that fight.

Besides, I thought the black bass criticism had to do with them being a widespread invasive across most if the nation.

hmmmm, seems native invasives get special treatment.

#17 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:40 AM

Largemouths can put up a fight too, but you're right smallmouths are the ones who fight the best.

The only black bass that is invasive where I'm from is the spotted bass, and while they put up a good fight similar to smallmouths I'm in no way against the killing of spots.

No special treatment of invasive a here.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users