Southern VA - TN drainage

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:33 PM

We are currently planning a trip down to the TN drainage in VA Saturday, March 24th, if anyone in the area is interested. Here is the trip report from the last trip : http://forum.nanfa.o...p?showtopic=388 but we are hoping to add mountain madtoms and tangerine darters to that.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:37 PM

We are currently planning a trip down to the TN drainage in VA Saturday, March 24th, if anyone in the area is interested. Here is the trip report from the last trip : http://forum.nanfa.o...p?showtopic=388 but we are hoping to add mountain madtoms and tangerine darters to that.

Tangerines? Be prepared for body surfing to catch them this time of year; but I wish you luck and I wish I could join you....

#3 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:59 PM

Tangerines? Be prepared for body surfing to catch them this time of year; but I wish you luck and I wish I could join you....

So I've been told. We caught gilt darters in a trib to the Clinch last year which I've been told isn't too common. I realize they are a longshot and aren't easy to seine but we'll give it a shot. It's a long drive down not to :smile:

#4 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:50 PM

You might stand a better chance of getting them (especially adults) on hook and line than with a small seine...they're amazingly wily. Water's still a bit cold for snorkelling (unless you have a dry suit), so try finding them with a view bucket (5 gal bucket, interior spray-painted black and with plexiglass epoxied over hole cut in bottom; usually reserved for the musselheads on this list), then dropping a bit of worm on a #16-18 hook on 2lb test mono in front of them. The minnows shouldn't be super active yet, so you might actually be able to get the worm to the bottom before a shiner nails it. This time of year they hang in deeper pools or glides...

Don't try this in warmer weather. I've spent many, many hours trying to get a hook through never-ending schools of striped and Tennessee shiners to get at the darters beneath (who frolicked and watched with seemingly great amusement). Unhook shiner. Walk to bank, get another worm. Wade back out, find darter. Unhook shiner. Repeat. Again. And Again. And Again... I gave up and came back later with a backpack shocker.

cheers,
Dave

#5 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:14 PM

Thanks, I'll have to try that. I may have to get those artificial earthworms that stay on the hook a lot longer than real worms. I've heard of people catching darters on hook-n-line but never seen it myself. Any success in doing it blind?

#6 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:54 AM

Thanks, I'll have to try that. I may have to get those artificial earthworms that stay on the hook a lot longer than real worms. I've heard of people catching darters on hook-n-line but never seen it myself. Any success in doing it blind?

yes, I've gotten several species by dead-drifting tiny nymphs on a fly rod, but the success rate is orders of magnitude lower. Though it's awful nice when you're expecting darters and drift it to a big ol Moxostoma...

cheers,
Dave

#7 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:04 PM

AAARRRRRGGGHHH!!!

I can't go that weekend. The spouse will be in town.

I desperately need to get tanks going again. I have one, count-em one, fish; my old longear. So sad...

#8 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:44 PM

Maybe next time. Depending on my schedule we'll probably make a trip down that way later in the year. I'll make sure to let you know as far in advance considering we just cross our fingers and hope the weather is good.

#9 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:10 AM

Last call for anyone in the area that wants to go. PM me for meeting location and time.

#10 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:28 PM

Click HERE for trip report.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users