Photo

"Straight Line Uh-ohs"

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:56 AM

I'm sure this is very common, but I have been lucky enough not to encounter it yet. Several new addition cyprinids have very quickly, as in almost overnight, developed a white line that runs down their caudals, progressing from the tip of the tail towards the body, shredding everything behind said line. Will be moving them to temp housing later this AM, but have to log some time at work first.

Best guesses as to what this nasty stuff is? I am attaching one photo, not because it's good for showing the actual infection site, (or anything else) but because it gives a good impression of the line marching across the fishes' caudals. The uppermost fish, and the onr furthest right, give the best impressions.Attached File  PA250082.JPG   67.68KB   2 downloads

No time for a better pic or description, but I'm guessing anything that blitzkreigs across a fin like this is reasonably easy to id...
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#2 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:39 AM

Matt, I just call it home sickness. I've only had it occur with freshly caught fish. Lots of salt in transportation and in the new tank seems to reduce rearing it's ugly head. Once it starts, I have been unable to stop it. Long ago, I tried various antibiotics/antmicrobials (Erythromycin, Sulfamethazine, Trimetoprim and minocyclene) without success. I had been able to slow it but never reverse it quickly and save the fish. I am by no means an expert at treating fish with medicine so please don't be discouraged by my reply.

#3 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:32 PM

Today's "couple hours" turned into getting home at 19:30...

Thanks, Uland. I can handle your prognosis as it stands for these noobie fish. Will do my best on their account, though. Just as importantly, have you ever had this spread to other, established and healthy, fish? Do I need to be concerned for the rest of the inhabitants, or does it seem to be a problem for the recent arrivals only?

I am now officially a big believer in salt. I am by no means a major player in native fish capture and transport, but I have acquired enough experience to know that no salt-treated fish of mine have ever had problems, but "non-salts", such as these were, are hit and miss in the health/survival department.
Matt Knepley

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:18 PM

Salt is your friend. This usually is a result of stress, and does not affect other fish. I suspect that Flexibacter is always present, but only becomes symptomatic in weakened fish.

#5 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:06 PM

I've never had it spread to other established fish and it often only develops on a few recently collected individuals, not necessarily the whole lot.

#6 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:01 PM

Yup it's Flexibacter, aka Flavobacterium, aka Columnaris. I think stress-induced ion loss from the skin within the first few minutes after capture causes tissue necrosis and lets Flexibacter (and later Fungus) take hold. That's why salt in the bucket BEFORE you start adding fish generally helps. Heat and crowding are also factors.

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

In simpler language, this is the classic "White Line O' Death".

#8 Guest_bbrown_*

Guest_bbrown_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

I apologize if I'm stating what everyone already knows, but when I worked on warm water hatcheries we always used salt to haul or hold fish. Also, a little ice or a frozen gell pack makes a huge difference hauling fish from the field to home. Don't want to freeze them, but just chill them a little.

#9 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:14 PM

I have always found that native fish could deal with a quick cool down, much better than they could deal with a quick warm up. I think ice in a transport container is helpful as well, as long as the warm up is gradual.

#10 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:03 AM

Thanks for the input, everybody. The ice pack idea makes sense, too. I think I'm going to leave a bag of salt in the glove box for those "oh, crud, left the salt at home in the photo tank" moments. Or would the constant heating and cooling in the automobile environment break down its usefulness? (Can't imagine it would, but I have seen other things, such as tylenol and allergy meds, suffer serious degredation in a glovebox...)
Matt Knepley

#11 Guest_Auban_*

Guest_Auban_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:18 AM

i know my methods seem extreme to many here, but i have always been most successful with treating columnaris with a shotgun blast of antibiotics.

i have read that it often becomes immune to one type, only to return after treatment. the last time i treated for it, i used every antibiotic i had on hand, and the deaths ended immediately and the columnaris did not come back.

normally, i prefer not to use antibiotics. with columnaris though, i ran out of patience.

#12 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:40 AM

i know my methods seem extreme to many here, but i have always been most successful with treating columnaris with a shotgun blast of antibiotics.

i have read that it often becomes immune to one type, only to return after treatment. the last time i treated for it, i used every antibiotic i had on hand, and the deaths ended immediately and the columnaris did not come back.

normally, i prefer not to use antibiotics. with columnaris though, i ran out of patience.

Extreme is as extreme does...

In the end, I opted to do nothing but remove the carcasses of those unfortunates who perished. Thanks to input from the folks above, I decided that since this is largely stress induced, and not likely to be contagious, the best course of action would be no action. Why further stress those fish and introduce stress to the established, healthy inhabitants?

I did lose about half the new fish, but the survivors have since bounced back pretty well. Though careful observation will quickly betray the point to which their caudals deteriorated, it will also show that said fins are repaired and healthy and fully functional. Casual observation shows no signs of damage at all. (At least to my untrained eye.) Is this common of columnaris? Not that a ~50% mortality rate is acceptable, but I was expecting a much more gruesome scenario.

Thanks again to all who commented, it probably saved that other 50%, as otherwise they'd have been facing some serious stress in being relocated.
Matt Knepley

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users