Notropis ID

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dac343_*

Guest_dac343_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

Location; Wolfpen Creek/ Red River

Looking at the fish list supplied by KDFWR I'm leaning towards Notropis volucellus or Notropis stramineus. Me and Joshua are just not 100% sure on this guy. Can anybody confirm or have better idea? Thanks in advance.

Attached File  DSCN0294.JPG   85.1KB   2 downloadsAttached File  DSCN0295.JPG   143.25KB   4 downloadsAttached File  DSCN0296.JPG   155.55KB   5 downloads

#2 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

I dont know the species in KY, but are you sure its not a young Luxilis?
It looks very much like young-of-year Lux. albeolus or chrysocephalus I've seen in NC and VA

#3 Guest_dac343_*

Guest_dac343_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:39 PM

Honestly that thought didn't even cross my mind L. chrysocephalus would be a very likely candidate.

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

That is what I thought, juvenile crysocephalus. I often have to take a second look at them before I realize that is what I am looking at.

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:21 PM

Did you guys find any of those funky Red River Clinostomus hybrids?

#6 Guest_dac343_*

Guest_dac343_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:51 PM

Did you guys find any of those funky Red River Clinostomus hybrids?

We caught just a few C. elongatus but I didn't see anything that made me think hybrid

#7 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:59 PM

We caught just a few C. elongatus but I didn't see anything that made me think hybrid

Josh has seen them I think. In some of the creeks there, they are a pretty darn common hybrid. I took some to Marc Kibbey at Ohio State. The meristics were almost dead on in between Clinosomus and Chrosomus.

#8 Guest_dac343_*

Guest_dac343_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

Josh has seen them I think. In some of the creeks there, they are a pretty darn common hybrid. I took some to Marc Kibbey at Ohio State. The meristics were almost dead on in between Clinosomus and Chrosomus.

Yea I want to say Josh has mentioned it to me before or I've heard it somewhere else. Pretty interesting definitely more Chrosomus than Clinostomus

#9 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:08 PM

Yea I want to say Josh has mentioned it to me before or I've heard it somewhere else. Pretty interesting definitely more Chrosomus than Clinostomus

That's probably why it is so common. When the flows are low, and the streams are mostly pools, the isolated clinostomus get lonely.

#10 Guest_dac343_*

Guest_dac343_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:11 PM

Survival requires those genes to be passed on no matter the cost. Clinostomus are survivors lol

#11 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:03 PM

I was 100% honest, up front. I suck at Notropis.......so much so that I get the species wrong...lol.

Looking at the photos now, it does look like a Striped Shiner. It looked my Notropisy in the field.

#12 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:25 PM

Like I said, I always have to remind myself of how different juvenile striped shiners look to me from adults. I have a hard time with them too. I don't know what it is.

#13 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

I'm going to take the blame here. I did say, "Hey, is this a Notropis?" So I probably put it in our minds and we didn't consider anything else. If that's not what happened, then I blame David :biggrin:

#14 Guest_dac343_*

Guest_dac343_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

I'm going to take the blame here. I did say, "Hey, is this a Notropis?" So I probably put it in our minds and we didn't consider anything else. If that's not what happened, then I blame David :biggrin:

It did kinda bias my opinion a bit ;) If only we had turned it to look from top down lol.

#15 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

It did kinda bias my opinion a bit ;) If only we had turned it to look from top down lol.

See how he does me..... lol

Sent from the Mantaray using tapatalk

#16 Guest_dac343_*

Guest_dac343_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:18 PM

See how he does me..... lol

Well at least I don't go 100m upstream flail my arms and come sprinting towards the seine.

#17 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:28 PM

Well at least I don't go 100m upstream flail my arms and come sprinting towards the seine.

Now that, I'd like to see

#18 Guest_dac343_*

Guest_dac343_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:12 PM

Now that, I'd like to see

I guess I could give it a go next time. I mean there are some people around these parts that swear by it.

#19 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:08 PM

You must be talking about the Blaylock shuffle. I have seen it. I think it has been personally handed down from generation to generation. Started out as a Bluegrass stomp/shuffle, and the family found that while listening to Ralph Stanley and doing the Blaylock shuffle, that Harlan county fish just gravitated towards a net. Much like a backpack shocker. The said bait, mostly blackside dace were then used to procure channel catfish for a nights supper. I think you can Google this.

#20 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:59 PM

You must be talking about the Blaylock shuffle. I have seen it. I think it has been personally handed down from generation to generation. Started out as a Bluegrass stomp/shuffle, and the family found that while listening to Ralph Stanley and doing the Blaylock shuffle, that Harlan county fish just gravitated towards a net. Much like a backpack shocker. The said bait, mostly blackside dace were then used to procure channel catfish for a nights supper. I think you can Google this.

Haha haha, that's the best thing ever

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users