Centrarchus macropterus (flier sunfish) questions...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_flier82sunfish_*

Guest_flier82sunfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:23 PM

Hello all. I am raising two juvenile Flier sunfish. I've been trying to find information on their eventual size, and unfortunately I've been getting some conflicting information from various websites. I've heard that they can grow to 12" but also that they only grow to 5-6". Which is more common? Is it like with other sunfish where the larger is more the record size for those found in the wild, where the smaller size is what you would normally find, or what you would end up with in an aquarium? Thanks.

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:34 PM

Look at all the nice little ones in the seine behind the monster that was certainly the maximum size that I had ever seen a flier.

Posted Image
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:40 PM

Holy crap! That's not a flier it's a pilot, or something.

#4 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:42 PM

The ones I caught in NC last month were ballpark 7-8 inches. I can get a better estimate if I go make some measurements on my rod and compare to the picture.

EDIT: I measured the two trademark symbols on the rod and scaled them to the picture. Using that method, this fish was about 7.3 inches. I remember catching another that was at least an inch bigger.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:50 PM

I have only caught small flier in southern Illinois. Wow do they change. The adults look more like Lepomis, and the younger ones look more like Pomoxis.

#6 Guest_flier82sunfish_*

Guest_flier82sunfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:07 AM

I looked it up and the ones I got came from Florida, so not sure if that makes a difference or not. Either way, it sounds like they are similar to the pumpkinseeds in size, they average around 8" but can get bigger. Thanks for the photos, they are really gorgeous. I can't wait to see how mine turn out as they grow.

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:37 AM

FYI my picture up top was on a trip to the Okefenokee... I think we were still well west of the swamp, but deep into south Georgia.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#8 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:44 AM

I have often seen large ones in the 8 or so inch range.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users