Photo

Georgia Rivers Alive - Oconee 2013

3 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

Georgia NANFA again volunteered for Oconee County's annual Rivers Alive stream side trash clean up. As we have before, we arrived early, set up our aquarium, and collected some fish to show folks what was below the surface. They were already interested in helping the river, so it was pretty easy to talk to them about helping the fish that are in the river. Camm Swift and my dad were the only two other people that could help me this time around. You can see that we were able to get plenty of fish!
Posted Image

And pretty soon the trash pick up crew arrived. This included a large group of young boy scouts who, along with several other adults seemed eager to learn more about the fishes of McNutt Creek (a trib of the Oconee River).
Posted Image
In total we were able to collect 14 different species for the aquarium. Which is pretty darn good for about 45 minutes of seining a 100 yards or so of stream in these parts. Everyone was pretty engaged and we got the word out (and several copies of AC to the interested adults and young folks). To me this is pretty much what NANFA should be about.
Crappie
Redbreast Sunfish
Posted Image
Bluegill Sunfish
Northern Hogsucker
Striped Jumprock
Posted Image
Altamaha Shiner
Posted Image
Ocmulgee Shiner
Posted Image
Spottail Shiner
Yellowfin Shiner
Posted Image
Bluehead Chub
Rosyface Chub
Posted Image
Gambusia
Turquoise Darter
Posted Image
Blackbanded Darter
Posted Image
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

We also got a little coverage from a UGA Journalism professor who lives here in our county and blogs on local events.

http://oconeecountyo...s.blogspot.com/
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:55 PM

Great job, Michael!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#4 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:46 PM

I nominate Michael Wolfe as Ambassador-at-Large, as long as he doesn't give up his Georgia job.

Cam Swift can be Ichthyologist Laureate or somesuch. I think he's made every "public service" NANFA mission since he moved to the state.

Way to represent, Gentlemen !

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users