Warmouth not eating!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:49 PM

My 2inch warmouth stopped eating bloodworms yesterday. Right now I have him in a grow-out 20 gallon with 7 fathead minnows. He use to eat everyday and never hesitate. He looks like he is trying to hunt or be aggressive toward them, but they are about his size. Should I add him to my 55 gallon with my 3-5inch sunfish tank? I have 3 bluegills, 1 longear, 1 3inch black crappie. He has been eating bloodworms for about the length I have had him. I have had him for about 1/2 a year or more. Any suggestions?

Edited by Leo1234, 24 November 2013 - 10:51 PM.

#2 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:40 AM

Try giving him something else to diversify his diet. Blood worms only is not well balanced which can cause the off and on again feeding cycles. Frozen brine shrimp might be easy to get him on. I would also begin process to train him and all others if not already done to consume dried foods in the form of pellets. Good intermediates are the following freeze dried; krill, Daphnia, and plankton (mixture). With mine I like to get them on pellets formulated for cichlids quickly. Once you get them trained over start restricting their intake so they skip a day now and again. This slow growth but keep them into you as a food source.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:39 AM

well Leo, I would like to respond, but really you already got the best advice, so I will just repeat some of it with my experience. When my warmouth was that small, he like to hit freeze dried shrimp/krill big enough that they would just fit in his mouth. I think maybe the bloodworms are too small for him? And remember in the wild he would eat the whole grasshopper/moth/etc. that fell in the water. That exoskeleton is a normal part of their diet, and they are geared to crushing their food in their mouth. I say get the freeze dried shrimp/krill and give it a try.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_Matt N_*

Guest_Matt N_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:56 AM

I've never had a warmouth but I did run in the the same issue with my green sunfish. I started feeding him live food such and ghost srimp and small feed fish. This should also curb him huntting away from the minnows.

#5 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:11 PM

I just moved him to my 45 gallon (just did the calculations, its a 45 not 55) And he ate a lot of blood worms, pellets i think, and earthworms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users