River sunfish

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Matt N_*

Guest_Matt N_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:10 AM

Which kinds of sunfish are found in rivers?

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:27 AM

Depending on the specific habitat I would say all of them. I have caught Warmouth in streams here in north Georgia, and Dollar sunfish in a swampy stream in middle Georgia (both usually thought of as still water fish). They certainly seek out habitat where the water speed is reduced, behind woody debris or in deeper holes in the turn of the river.

But the easiest answer is the redbreast sunfish (Lepomis auritus) which is even referred to as the River Bream or River Robin (as in robin redbreast).
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:34 AM

I agree with Michael. Redbreast is the most common sunfish in flowing waters around here. Spotteds are also reasonably common in this habitat.

#4 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:49 PM

Also green sunfish and pumpkinseed ... and rock bass (if you want to consider it a sunfish).
My Peterson Field Guide shows redbreast only in the eastern edge of WV.

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

In Ohio, Bluegill are probably the most common, followed closely by longears, and greens. Redears are rarely found in streams.

#6 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

I think I see them all in streams. Longears and Bluegill are most common. I see a lot of Rock bass in most stream here in KY, I'd consider them Sunfish.

#7 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:44 AM

Up here the most common river sunfish are redbreasts, rockbass, and smallmouth bass. But I have seen pumpkinseeds in some surprising current, which is odd as they are mostly a pond fish, and bluegill and largemouth in the quieter stretches of rivers (and occasionally in faster stretches). I have also seen banded sunnies in slow moving lowland rivers.

i get the impression that while some sunfish prefer the current of rivers or can tolerate them, others use them as thoroughfares to move from one habitat to another.

Also larger rivers seem more likely to have more sunfish variety.

#8 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:08 PM

RedRed-breasted sunfish and central longear I associate with environments that have lots of flow. Redear I associate with environments supporting lots of smaller molluscs which in areas haunt, the natural areaas associating such are decidedly flowing. Spotted sunfish I find most abundant in habitats with lots of vegetation in close proximity to areas of flow.

#9 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

I've caught bluegills in fast flowing/heavy current waters behind the culvert and dams, tho green and pumpkinseeds have been caught in some currents.

#10 Guest_Houndog_*

Guest_Houndog_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:40 PM

All of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users