Cannibalistic Juvenile Fish Rearing System Idea

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:11 PM

Those who breed poison dart frogs must raise them in their own containers, however, this can be tedious for obvious reasons, so instead they keep them in mesh bottomed cups in a large, shallow tank. I think this could be perfect for any of the numerous fish that must be isolated when they are young. A good example would be Bowfin, or it would work well for growing out gar due to their need of a small container, but their high waste production.

#2 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:29 PM

Mesh bottom cups are a good idea :) Maybe you could hot glue a ring of styrofoam around the top to keep them floating level-ly.

Sometimes it's just the one or two 3 inch fish eatng all the rest of their siblings, so if you keep them separated by size, it works for some species.
For those mildly carnivorous (because of size differences) species, I use 7 mesh plastic canvas to make tank dividers. There are binder bars embedded to make slots on the wall, so I can slide the dividers in and out as I need.
I documented the build here: http://forum.aquatic...=1429&start=105
You can slip the 7 mesh plastic canvas into any of the white vertical bars.

#3 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:13 PM

I like the mesh-bottom cups you get from Starbucks - its a good way to recycle something you would normally just throw away.

After all, they ARE fairly useless.

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:37 PM

Uland gave me some really cool PVC mesh that was maybe 3/16. Not sure where it was sourced from, but with a pair of scissors, and some small cable ties, you could build nice growout containers to meet your needs. Then use styro, like Erica said to float them. I might use a solid bottom though to keep feed in place long enough to be eaten. The fish itself, and tank current would probably push the waste out of the sides.

Here is a link for similar 1/8th inch mesh. http://www.aquaticec...-Mesh-Screening I think an entire mesh container would be healthier for the fish due to much greater water exchange. It is a large roll, so use what you need, and either sell mesh on Aquabid, or make nice floating growouts, and sell those. Bet they would sell.

#5 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:39 PM

I used to sew boxes together out of fiberglass screen. Thread or fishing line, a needle, and a $6 roll of fiberglass screen from Home Depot would be all you'd need to build it.
Home Depot fiberglass screen: http://www.homedepot...02#.UqC54vRDvo4

My issue with the boxes I made out of it were that if you hang it right from your light, algae will grow on it.
Posted Image
http://img.photobuck...30th2009017.jpg

#6 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:44 PM

I think the screen would work pretty well, but did wastes accumulate since it is so fine? It would be nice to make a PVC frame to hold it in shape. The material that I showed above is rigid enough to hold shape. Might be able to find something comparable at a craft store. Like that mesh they use for needle point.

#7 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:33 PM

did wastes accumulate since it is so fine?

No, they feel through the bottom.

I liked the flexibility of the material. If you fold it over its top, the fish can't jump out.

#8 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:45 PM

Cheap for sure. Since you mentioned the algae growth, seems like it might make a good substrate if you wanted an algae filled backdrop. Lots of surface area to cling to.

#9 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:23 PM

People do use sheets like these for turf algae scrubbers (which I personally don't like because they are inferior to vascular plants such as macroalgae). But yeah, if you don't want algae, don't put the fiberglass screen two inches under the light, and it's not a problem.

#10 Guest_jetajockey_*

Guest_jetajockey_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:57 AM

Plastic mesh canvas works well, can get it at walmart or a hobby store.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users