Mudminnow questions

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Joshaeus_*

Guest_Joshaeus_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

'ello all! It's been a while since I last made a new post on here, but I'm still indecisive about my fish plans. I've taken an interest in mudminnows and would like to know some info about them:
1 - Are they difficult to feed? will they take frozen reliably from the get-go?
2 - Do you think they would be comfortable in a 29 gallon tank?
3 - Would they be safe to keep with rosy reds/fathead minnows? I've heard claims that mudminnows would eat them, which would be a shame since I would really like to own some fatheads...
4 - Are they bred easily? What requirements need to be met to get them to breed?

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:06 PM

Yes they are easy to feed. The baby "sliver" that I got at the convention is growing on just frozen and flakes.

Mine is very small but in a 10 gallon alone. He could not eat other fish as small as his mouth it now.

Gerald bred them outside sort on accident if I remember correctly.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:30 PM

Mine bred in a 6' diam plastic wading pool full of plants, in early spring a year after I caught them. I've kept some indoors in the past in 10-20 gal tanks, and they sometimes chased each other but ignored other kinds of fish. I'm sure they would eat small fish they could swallow easily, but I dont think they'll go after anything that's not bite-sized. I started them on live worms at first, and they learned to take frozen foods fairly soon. Some of them eventually learned to eat dry food but some would never accept it. I'm guessing they might need a winter cool-down to breed, but I really dont know. My indoor fish never showed spawning color or behavior.

#4 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:31 PM

There was discussion of mudminnows recently in this thread.

http://forum.nanfa.o...nnow-questions/

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users