Trout perch temperature range?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:14 PM

I really want one for my 55 gallon aquarium,but do not know its requirements besides that is a nocturnal fish. thank you for any responses.

#2 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:14 PM

I dont have the specifics but I've seen people keeping perch in a 55 at room temperature. Trout however need cold water. If you dont have a chiller. I'd forget the trout.

#3 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:19 PM

Trout perch would not be considered a cold water fish, so room temp. or lower would be fine. I have never kept them, but know their habitat, and it is not very temperature specific.

#4 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:06 PM

Exasperatus, I believe he was referring to the Trout Perch, or Percopsis omiscomaycus.

#5 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

Exasperatus, I believe he was referring to the Trout Perch, or Percopsis omiscomaycus.

Yes i am talking about The trout-perch, percopsis omiscomaycus

#6 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:51 PM

I didn't realize they are nocturnal. A few of my angling friends have caught them during the day in Lake Michigan tributaries in the spring. They come into the rivers at the same time as the steelhead and longnose suckers.

#7 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:11 PM

I've heard of trout perch are vulnerable to the summer kills, especially Lake Mille Lacs when the temperatures got too hot but I'm sure that poor oxygenated waters were responsible for their deaths.

#8 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:54 PM

Looking at the historic distribution in Ohio, I suspect that they appreciate cooler versus warmer. In the past they were widely distributed throughout unglaciated Ohio. Of course these streams were cooler in the 50's than they are now, due to less agriculture, and less development. There was more seepage into the ground back then, and a slower release of cool water. Now it appears that their range is more limited, though not isolated to Ohio's few cold water streams. There may be many other factors involved though.

I still maintain that room temp. would be fine, though they may appreciate a basement tank. Now actually sourcing them may be the big problem. Not sure anyone sells them. If you actually pay your dues, and become a NANFA member, you will have access to the trading dock on the forum. There you can put out a request to other members who may have access to trout perch. Usually it is good to have something from your own area to offer up in return.. Don't know what the legality is, but if legal, I bet you could tempt some people with some Sacramento perch.

#9 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:24 AM

It's funny how sacramento perch are here but we can not even collect and keep ones from the wild. We can only keep fish from a breeder, website, out of state, etc.

Edited by Leo1234, 08 December 2013 - 01:25 AM.

#10 Guest_Gavinswildlife_*

Guest_Gavinswildlife_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:38 PM

Who cares? The rare fish should be let be. They aren't completely off-limits. You can still fish for them. Nothing's stopping you from finding your own and getting a picture them. Or even snorkeling for them can be lots of fun.

#11 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:18 PM

I was going to try to breed Sacramento perch for the trade, but if you don't want any, that's fine with me.

#12 Guest_Gavinswildlife_*

Guest_Gavinswildlife_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:38 PM

Now the trade is where its at. Good luck getting yer perch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users