Breeding bullheads?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:55 PM

What are the requirements for breeding yellow, black, flat or brown bullheads??? Can it be done in an aquarium? Are they territorial? How can I tell a male from a female??

Edited by Leo1234, 05 December 2013 - 10:55 PM.

#2 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:07 PM

The real question is why you want to breeding bullheads?

#3 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:59 PM

They breed readily in outdoor ponds. I have seen them reproduce in stock tanks that were in the 100 gallon range, with very little attention.

#4 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:16 AM

The reason I want to know how to breed them is because 1st I want to know for future reference, 2nd, I might try to breed north american fish for people later on in life because the only places i can think of are in central or east United States.

Are bullheads territorial? How can i tell their gender?

#5 Guest_Gavinswildlife_*

Guest_Gavinswildlife_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:05 PM

Bullheads are cool. They are not stocked by most because of "trash" reputation and small size. rumor has it they muddy the water.

#6 Guest_jacksmelt_*

Guest_jacksmelt_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:36 AM

talk to brian zimmerman of zimmermans fish. he raises bullheads. so does jonahsaquariums. good luck!

#7 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

I've wondered this as well. I might set up a breeding project for them someday, originally I was going to be stubborn and try to setup a tank around 180 gallons with a mud wall for breeding so... Good to know that isn't necessary :)
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#8 Guest_WyRenegade_*

Guest_WyRenegade_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:13 PM

So just from my experience with the young, I would say that once you get the fry is when you are going to have issues. In the wild they stay in big schools in ponds. However when you take several and place them in an aquarium with limited space, the fry begin to consume each other until you end up with only one or two. Overfeeding big time might help with that issue, but then you are going to have the water quality issues that result from overfeeding. I've never actually breed them, so I can't help with that side of things, but we used to scoop up 5 or 10 out of one of the schools every spring, I always ended up with 1 survivor.

#9 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:06 AM

If well fed young don't eat each other had over 100 young browns in a tank and slowly sold them all since last summer. Obviously some people like them. I have not successfully bred them in an aquarium but when they are in the mood they get really territorial. Had a male flat bullhead kill off a female when I was in college. They were in a large 150 gallon tank with several pvc pipe caves and began to display breeding activity. I thought I would give them some privacy by moving them and one of their caves to a 55 gallon tank. Big mistake, one hiding place with a male really ready to guard it was a bad idea. The browns from last summer were bred in a 20x20ft rubber lined pond with several ceramic pipes and pvc pipes for nesting sites. There were 6 adults in there with maybe 8 pipes. I did loose one over the summer but do not think it was due to aggression. I got about 150 young out of this situation. The adults did winter over in the pond prior to this, do not know if the wintering period is required.

Sexing them is not real easy. Male bullheads do have a bulkier head and the mouth appears wider than females of the same species. Combining that with which fish seems to stay continually heavier as being probable females is the best I know how to do. Probably could be bred successfully in a large aquarium but be sure to have multiple hiding places.

#10 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:38 AM

would a yellow, black and brown bullhead species in the same tank fight? I will have a 180 with a 300 gallon filter since I could not find a filter that is for a 210. I already have a brown bullhead.

#11 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:34 PM

No more likely to fight than having three of the same species. Bullheads are not racist fish. :roll:

#12 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:07 PM

will they have small fights or fight to the death? Also, will they fight in a planted aquarium with driftwood creating caves? I would have a lot of hiding spots.

#13 Guest_lilyea_*

Guest_lilyea_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:11 PM

Black bullhead recently spawned in my 500+ gallon rubber-lined above-ground pond. The parents have stayed outside (central Florida) through a couple of winters. The pond doesn't have any mud, but does have caves, extensive leaf litter and thick roots from plants growing along the top edge of the pond. I moved approximately 10 fry out and have been raising them in a separate aquarium. The fry are nearly three weeks old and have not shown any aggression toward each other at this point. I would suggest that the low conductivity (due to rain water) may have also been a notable breeding factor.

#14 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:17 AM

Bullheads may get territorial if multiple bullheads are being kept in a 180gal and few or no shelters provide for all of the bullheads. That said, there won't be any room for another bullhead in 180gal when your Florida brown bullhead gets bigger.

#15 Guest_lilyea_*

Guest_lilyea_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:41 PM

Black bullhead recently spawned in my 500+ gallon rubber-lined above-ground pond.

I incorrectly stated that my bullhead were black (melas). They should have been identified as yellows (natalis). I apologize for any confusion. The fry are still doing well and just passed the 60 day mark.

#16 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:11 PM

Does anyone in the group breed spotted bullheads?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users