Ellasoma Zonatum with Enneacanthus, Notropis, Nocomis, etc?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:41 PM

Hello everyone, now I know this sounds far fetched, but I was wondering if I could put some Ellasoma Zonatum in community 125 with some fish like Enneacanthus, Notropis, Nocomis, and some Etheostoma as well. I know they only get up to about an inch and a half, but could they still work? I'm sure the answer is no, I'm just curious if anyone knows from experience.

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:52 PM

I think the Enneacanthus would hunt them down. Even darters are pretty effective predator of very small things.

I currently have some Elassoma mixed with flag fish. And they are surviving and breeding in small numbers. But not thriving.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:19 AM

No, don't mix the two.

Sure zonatum max out at 1.8 inches, but their young are less and they spend their first half year of life under 1 inch. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but actually look and compare the sizes.

Elassoma:
Posted Image
http://www.nanfa.org...l2003/site9.htm

Nocomis:
Posted Image
http://forum.nanfa.o...ar-of-the-fish/

The elassoma's about the width of the finger. The nocomis's open mouth is, too. Even the full grown elassoma in the picture can very much fit inside the mouth of that nocomis. Imagine how small the young are (half the size of the adult) and how much tastier to the nocomis. Keep in mind that elassoma life spans are less than two years, and the ones you'll get are already adults and halfway through that time. If you're not breeding them, you soon won't have any.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users