Tampa FL visit Jan 16-20

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:13 PM

I'm coming to Tampa/St.Pete for a cousin's wedding on Sat Jan 18. Will have some time Fri and maybe Sun afternoon to explore around. Looking for suggestions of ecologically interesting (and pretty) places to visit: springs, parks, mangroves, etc. Not planning to collect, just nature-watching with my kids. Any suggestions? ~~ Gerald

#2 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:38 AM

I do not see many Florida NANFA members on the forum. It might be best to contact the FL rep, Charlie Nunziata (?), and he could better assist you.
Of course Tampa was our convention site just a few years back. And then you have their FL collecting guide available... 4th edition coming out soon. Weeki Watchee? Salvador Dali in St. Pete. I bet there are several fish species in his work. :)
Doug Dame in Yankeetown and Homasassa Springs... but i think that is well north. Study a map. Be sure and take a change of clothes for the wedding, waders are not acceptable in most cases.

#3 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:27 AM

Gerald, I'm far enough from Tampa (100 miles) that I know a few of the locals' favorite collecting spots, but don't have enough knowledge to really do your question justice. So I've relayed it to some of the SKS/NANFAns down there in hopes of getting you a proper answer.

But absent a good answer from a real local, my instincts would be to go to Ft Desoto Park first. And spend some time catching pipefish and other fun stuff in the grasses just for fun. Bring a net with smallish mesh if you want to land any pipefish. You'll most likely also get pinfish, lots of shrimp, toadfish, gobies, hermit & arrow crabs, flounder, luciana parva, mojarra, blennies, puffers, filefish, and probably seahorses (probably small (3/4") but possibly large), and a happy scattering of mystery critters. Plus a variety of killies esp. along the shoreline.

OTOH, Kayaking in Weedon Island Preserve is also reportedly excellent, if the idea of kayaking through mangrove tunnels and possibly seeing manatees is appealing. (Should be!!!) There's also a boardwalk through the mangroves, a viewing tower, etc. Kayaks are available for rental, and I think there are also guided tours, but I don't know all the details.

And I like the Florida Aquarium downtown.

The Mote Marine Aquarium in nearby Sarasota is also excellent, and they have boat eco-tours that visit an island and drag a trawl to see what they can find, etc. (Not free, of course.) You may not have time to take that in.

Casper's mention of Weeki Wachee isn't crazy either. It's about an hour to the north, but the spring run from Rogers Park to the WW spring is a great kayak trip. But it's 6 miles or so each way, so that's not a quickie. Weeki Wachee itself has recently become a state park. They still have the mermaids though, and there aren't many places left in the world that have real live mermaids.

d.d.

#4 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:53 PM

This may not be of much help, but last July the family went down to Siesta Key, south of Tampa. I got a few pages of the Florida Collecting Guide from Charlie Nunziata showing a some spots near me. I only had a few hours to go out so I headed east on Route 72 toward Myaka State Park. I didn't bother going into the park itself but rather just pulled to the side of the highway. I found Heterandria formosa, mollies, Jordanella floridae, pygmy sunfish, and of course gambusia.

IMG_0223.JPG

I also brought back something called an African Jewelfish, Hemichromis letourneuxi. I thought the Gambusia would be aggressive toward the other fish, but this guy is a terror. Luckily, I moved what I thought would be Ellasoma to a separate tank and these two have grown out peacefully.

#5 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

For what it's worth, the Florida Aquarium in Tampa is worth every penny, in the opinion of myself, my wife and my girls (ages 11 & 7). Ft. De Soto is supposed to be excellent for birding, it's one place I always wanted to get to but couldn't quite seem to make happen. If you're crossing any of the bridges in the bay keep an eye out for dolphins. It's no promise, but I can say I've seen them almost as often as I haven't. Search the FL state parks for any that may have manatees already. It is a real treat to see those guys in the wild. I don't know which I enjoyed more, seeing them in crystal clear water where it was easy to watch them, or in deeper, murkier water where there was the thrill of trying to guess where they'd pop up and getting to call 'em out first. (My manatee watching was done north of Orlando and at Canaveral, so that's not close to where you'll be, but Crystal River would be at least as close as Orlando and they are famous for manatees, and if you feel like paying there are several "swim with the manatee" operators. Otherwise, look into the state park. I have no idea about their reputations, I just know they exist. How far are you willing to drive? I'm a little better versed in the Orlando area east to Canaveral.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#6 Guest_Usil_*

Guest_Usil_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:53 AM

Every Florida convention I ever attended, I always hiked down to the small water ways by the road and property lines around the center and always found lots of interesting things. Swordtails were numerous as other small fish. Good diversion from the meetings.

Usil

#7 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:16 AM

Gerald,

Do you have a copy of the Florida Collecting Guide? If not, they may have the latest edition in print by now. It was of of print this past June, but Charlie Nunziata graciously emailed me a couple pages of relevant sites.

Harry Knaub

#8 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:39 AM

This from one of the Tampa buds:

"I would suggest the Big Bend Power plant manatee viewing center ( located at the end of Apollo Beach Blvd ), hopeful there will be some cool weather by then. When it's cold there can be hundreds of manatees in the channel and it's free. As for pulling a seine in salt water, I would suggest Ft De Soto park the north end, or the always productive Skyway South rest area."

#9 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:27 AM

This from one of the Tampa buds:

"I would suggest the Big Bend Power plant manatee viewing center ( located at the end of Apollo Beach Blvd ), hopeful there will be some cool weather by then. When it's cold there can be hundreds of manatees in the channel and it's free. As for pulling a seine in salt water, I would suggest Ft De Soto park the north end, or the always productive Skyway South rest area."

That would be an incredible sight to see! Might just save that info for myself some day!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users