Possible 55 gallon sunfish setup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Joshaeus_*

Guest_Joshaeus_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:55 PM

'ello all! I am considering having a 55 gallon sunfish setup in the future and am considering two basic possibilities for the tank:
A - Have a small school of a species of one of the smaller sunfish (I'm leaning towards orangespots)
or B - keep a single longear male.

So, here are my questions:
1 - Do any rules need to be followed with sunfish tankmates, besides making sure that they are large enough not to be eaten?
2 - For option A, how many sunfish could I have? Would there be room for other tankmates?
3 - Would a lone male longear gain the same kind of colors that he would in a setup with females? Would he be able to go with tankmates?
4 - Has anyone tried to simulate the winter period by simply reducing the photo period drastically for part of the year, and increasing it when you want the fish to breed? I ask because I am not likely going to be able to reduce the tank temperature below about 60 degrees.
5 - Anything else I should know about longears? Plant compatibility, whether they work with soil/cat litter substrates, etc.

Any responses would be highly welcome.

#2 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:18 PM

I would strongly recommend a 40 Breeder over a 55. Also, depending on the variety of Longear, you could keep a group. According to Brian Zimmerman, you could keep 6 or so of the Northerns in a 40 Breeder, if I remember correctly.

#3 Guest_Nativefishnic_*

Guest_Nativefishnic_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

I had a longear in a planted 55 gallon with 15 or so different tank buddies, a few blackstrips, goldentops, and darters. And i also had a female bluegill in there with them. I got him when he was about an inch long and he was great until he got about two years old and i came home one day and the tank was cloudy. He had decided to build a nest in the middle of the tank. It was amazing looking after it cleared up but if there were any plants near his nest he would dig until they floated top the top. I never changed the lights to simulate time change he just knew it was time I guess. When he started nesting he wouldn't let anyone near it and was very aggressive to the female bluegill. I hope that helps answer any questions.

#4 Guest_Heather_*

Guest_Heather_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:27 PM

I would strongly recommend a 40 Breeder over a 55.

Could not agree more.
If you check out craigslist you can find some really great deals. For not much more you could even consider a 75g which is my ideal min.
And the addiction begins.... :biggrin:
If you really want to see spawning beds etc cannot say enough about the 75g, the 40gb is a good compromise though because at least it's the same footprint just a bit shorter.
Pool filter sand is awesome. CHEAP, found at swimming pool supply stores, safe, the tan version is pretty natural looking... and most importantly easy to clean. They sure love it too.

#5 Guest_Joshaeus_*

Guest_Joshaeus_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:57 PM

I admit that this is a somewhat different question, but it is along similar lines and I did not want to produce another, unnecessary post.

Turns out I can't own a 55 gallon in the apartment complex I am planning to move into after I graduate, so that's a no. However, they should have no problem with me geting another 29 gallon, which I am also thinking of using as a sunfish tank for a group of enneacanthus sunfish. So, question is...would it work? How many sunnies could I keep if it did?

#6 Guest_nickag9_*

Guest_nickag9_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:33 PM

I kept 5-7 Blue Spotted and Banded sunfish in a 29 gallon aquarium for a few years. They were never aggressive towards one another at all. In fact, they spent more time hiding than anything. I had the tank filled with fake plants, rock formations and a large fake stump and on most occasions when I walked past the tank I couldn't see any of the fish... With that said, yes it will work and I'd say 5-7 Blue Spots or even 3-5 Orange Spots would do fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users