Summer class in biology and conservation of fishes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

Field-based summer class at the Mountain Lake Biological Station, from 19 May-13 June 2014. Credits transferable through the University of Virginia.

http://mlbs.org/summercourses

There's not many places in North America that have this diversity of fishes available in such a small area -- within an hour's drive in any direction you can be in a different drainage with dramatically different fish faunas. It's a fantastic place to learn about fishes through total immersion in the material! The field station is beautiful, well-maintained, and surrounded by National Forest. Cool fish, great people, good food, excellent atmosphere... what more could you want?! Feel free to contact me for more info or if you know someone that might be interested!

CIMG2338.JPG CIMG2355.JPG CIMG2440.JPG CIMG2578.JPG CIMG2598.JPG
([photos are from the last time I offered this in 2012! It was AWESOME!)

The bad news is that this overlaps with the NANFA Convention. :(
Sorry Fritz!

#2 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:45 PM

They sure look like they're all having a great time! (well, maybe not the hellbender).
Bring the class on down to join NANFA in NC for a day !

#3 Guest_velvetelvis_*

Guest_velvetelvis_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

That looks like so much fun. I should see if UNC Wilmington or State offer something similar in NC (and accept non-students!).

#4 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:47 PM

Hey VE, anyone can sign up for this. You don't need to be a current student.

Let me rephrase that. Anyone with an interest in learning more about fishes is a student. You don't have to be currently enrolled at a college or university, although I suspect that the majority of the people that enroll will be.

#5 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

Even if UNC or NCSU did have a class, you wouldn't get Dave Neely, so why bother? As NC regional rep, I will grant you an official pardon for missing the NANFA conference ONLY if you're attending Dr. Neely's Biology & Conservation of Fishes summer class.

That looks like so much fun. I should see if UNC Wilmington or State offer something similar in NC (and accept non-students!).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users