Editor problems

14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gitano_*

Guest_gitano_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:29 PM

I'm having two problems with the NANFA forums editor.

First is that as soon as I use the "Enter" key - start a new paragraph - the editor does not accept most keystrokes unless I type excruciatingly slow AND even if I do type slowly, I still usually have to hit a key as many as 5 times. I will re-type this paragraph below without adjusting to the editor.

First is tht as soon as Iusehe "Ente" key - strta e paragraph - h dtooes not accpt most kstroesunless I type excruciatingly sloAND even I Ido type slowy, Istlsually haveto hitekey a mana 5 tmes. I will r-typ this arraphow without adutingo teheditor.

The second problem I am having is that I cannot "Cut and paste".

Thanks for your assistance.

Paul

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

What internet browser are you using (I am on Chrome and am not having any of these problems)?

Also, what type of hardware are you using (computer, smart phone, etc).

And not to be too simplistic, but you know we had a major upgrade on Thursday? Please make sure that you do all the simple things first (restart the computer, restart the internet browser, log out of the site, and log back in... even clear your cache... to make sure that you are picking up all of the new upgrades.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_gitano_*

Guest_gitano_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:46 PM

I am at the moment using IE, but have used Chrome with the same results. I have been "off and on" several times since the upgrade. When I START an editing session, everything is fine with respect to the "speed" issue. I don't know if the "cut and paste" issue is present at that time. Do you have Skype. I could share my screen with you. A "picture" is worth a million TYPED words.

Paul

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:54 PM

no, I don't have skype on this laptop... probably something I should think about... seems kinda obvious that it would be helpful when troubleshooting with people...

so sounds like you are on a computer or laptop... did you have the same problem before Thursday?
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_gitano_*

Guest_gitano_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:00 PM

Yes, I am on a desktop computer. I did have the problem before Thursday. I am also getting the "redirect" when I go to the forum via a google search. If I go to the forum from a link in a response email notification, no redirect.

Paul

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:02 PM

we are aware of the "redirect" problem and I think some others (more technical than I) are working on it... I wonder if the two problems are related in some way?

#7 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:49 PM

I have had the same text editor problem on one of my computers for at least several months, so I doubt it has anything to do with the redirect problem or recent upgrade. If you click the "Toggle editing mode" button in the upper left of the editing box to turn off all the editing tools you should have normal performance. However, you lose the functionality of all the editing tools, and you have to use code to post images and stuff. It works for simple typing, though.

#8 Guest_Gavinswildlife_*

Guest_Gavinswildlife_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:32 AM

Could be hardware limitations. Can you post your specs? (Ram, version of windows, version of browser). Your keyboard could very well be dying, becoming defective. Firefox may be a little slow, but is stable, you could use it if you think it's your browser.

#9 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:03 AM

Yeah, I used to have that problem on one of my older computers, but I think it had more to do with the device than the forum.

#10 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:26 AM

No, it works fine on my older, slower computer. The problem is on my newer computer, i5 processor, 8 GB ram, SSD, Windows 7 64 bit, all software up to date, no problems on any other websites. It's not a big deal for me, though. I can get by without the text editor tools.

#11 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

I have been having the same issues on replies for some time now. Must type very slowly can't cut/paste or much of anything. This was agonizing to type

#12 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:20 AM

Mike, have you tried toggling the editing mode (turning the editing functions off)? For me this restores normal typing speed and cut/paste ability.

#13 Guest_gitano_*

Guest_gitano_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

I think the other posters have demonstrated that the typing issue is not the 'age' of this computer. It seems to be related to the time I have been on the site. When I first come on, everything works as usual. At some point it 'crashes'. All subsequent editing activities are effected. Using the "Enter" key or any "change of line". I tried just "stream of consciousness" typing, but as soon as I moved back up to fix a typo, crash.

I will try turning off the editing tools.

That certainly worked for me.

I would also note that turning off the editing tools allows me to "cut and paste" as well.

This is a reasonable 'workaround' until the source can be found and corrected.

Thanks, Isaac Szabo.

Paul

#14 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

That does improve typing and cut/paste.
Thanks

#15 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:02 PM

I have a problem with the text editor as well. It makes typing out a reply to a topic a pain in the butt. Turning off the text editor helped though, but this probably should be looked into.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users