hey guys

15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kirbylfth_*

Guest_kirbylfth_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:20 AM

hey y'all , iam Patrick currently residing in Berea ky. iam new to native fish keeping, so new I don't have a tank to put natives in yet lol, just thought I would introduce myself on here along with asking on advice on tank size and relatively close places to start searching for some darters.

#2 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:39 AM

Welcome Patrick!

We have some very Kentucky knowledgeable members, so I'll let them answer the second question for you. As far as tank size, the standard answer is "the biggest you can afford and maintain is the best size." That doesn't hold true for 100% of fishes, but most likely does for the darters your are interested in.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#3 Guest_kirbylfth_*

Guest_kirbylfth_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:00 AM

thanks Matt, I've got a tropical 60 gallon setup running in the kitchen, iam thinking awful hard on a 20 long or a 30 for a bedroom darter tank, does anyone know of a temperature tolerant darter, iam just running that setup at 72 in the kitchen and would really be interested in adding a few small natives to that as well

#4 Guest_dac343_*

Guest_dac343_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

Joshua, will probably chime in soon as he is just up the road from you (Richmond). You are in a really good area to do some collecting, I haven't been around much in Madison county except Silver Creek and Tates Creek, previous work had me down in London, Corbin area.

A 20L is a pretty decent tank to work with and usually easy to find. I think you will enjoy darters more in a dedicated tank for them.

I might try and talk Joshua into hitting Green River up when it starts to warm up. If we do it you should come along.

#5 Guest_kirbylfth_*

Guest_kirbylfth_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

thanks dac just might do that, hows the collecting in silver creek? i have a friend that owns a piece of land with it going through it.

#6 Guest_Heather_*

Guest_Heather_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

Welcome Patrick!..... Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Keep an eye on craigslist for some great deals on tanks. Great advice above.

#7 Guest_kirbylfth_*

Guest_kirbylfth_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:33 PM

thanks for the welcome heather, definitely can't beat Craig's list scored my 60 gallon with stand filters and the whole 9 yards for 100 bucks off of it

#8 Guest_dac343_*

Guest_dac343_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

thanks dac just might do that, hows the collecting in silver creek? i have a friend that owns a piece of land with it going through it.

To be honest I haven't been in Silver Creek in the past few years so I'm a little fuzzy, darter wise I think mainly Rainbows/orangethroats, johnny, greenside, and fantails I think... No harm in finding a wadeable section and getting out there to check.

#9 Guest_kirbylfth_*

Guest_kirbylfth_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

thanks dac , I believe I remember reading the johnny darters were a little on the fragile side so I'll leave them be if I find any, definitely gonna have to let it get above 20 first but I plan on being out the first warm day looking around

#10 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

Welcome Patrick. I'm glad you introduced yourself. Collecting in Madison county is okay, but we're close to a lot of great creeks. I'll post some more tonight on KY collecting.

Sent from the Mantaray using tapatalk

#11 Guest_dac343_*

Guest_dac343_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:55 PM

I have several johnny's at work they seem to do quite well for me but it might be because they are in a dedicated tank with just themselves. Working a frozen net can be quite difficult this time of year lol. I can't walk 200 feet at work without bucket screens freezing on me.

#12 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

As far as temperature, most darters should be able to tolerate 72 I would think. I have a dedicated 75 gallon native tank that I keep at 72. I have about a dozen Iowa darters in there and they do just fine. I agree with dac on the dedicated tank though. I think you would like that better.

#13 Guest_kirbylfth_*

Guest_kirbylfth_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

thanks for the warm welcomes everybody and iam definitely going to do a dedicated tank after I get my tax return, my 60 is about 25% stocked right now and its a peaceful species tank so i thought if I got the gumption to go in this heatwave i might take one home

#14 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:38 PM

Madison county collecting isn't very good. The best locations would be the forks of Silver Creek in Berea. Here you're likely to find Orangethroat, Johnnys, Rainbows, Greensides, and fatails. Downstream Silver Creek isn't good, too much farming impact. Otter Creek in northern Madison is ok, but not much diversity.

We are lucky, though, to be where we are. With just a short drive, we can be in multiple sweet spots. Not far is the Forks of the Kentucky, Buck Creek, Green River, Fishing Creek, Dix River, and Red River Gorge. Just to name a few from those streams: Bloodfin Darter, Orangefin Darter, Gilt Darter, Southern Red-Belly Dace, Scarlet Shiner, Bluebreast Darter, Whitetail Shiner, and much much more. There are so so many awesome fish here in KY, that's why we had the annual convention in Kentucky last year. I have some great locations around the state.

I usually go out multiple times a year, and I try to organize group trips a few times as well. I'm always looking for somebody to go with me. As soon as it warms a little, I'll be ready to go.

In the mean time, check out my website: www.kycreeks.com and you can check out some of my aquarium and snorkeling videos on my youtube page: https://www.youtube....user/jpblaylock

#15 Guest_kirbylfth_*

Guest_kirbylfth_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:56 AM

thanks jblaylock, actually kycreeks is what got me started on the darters lol, I believe buck creek is just past mount Vernon isn't it seems like I've been there, definitely would be willing to go on a trip, but I have crazy random work schedules though so I would have to know a Lil in advance.

#16 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:38 AM

It's for sure something that's planned out days/weeks in advance so I'll let you know the next time I plan on going out.

Buck is south of Mt. Vernon. The headwaters are actually outside Stanford and run south to Lake Cumberland. It's a treasure trove of native fishes. We had Matt Thomas from the KDFWR come to the annual convention and do a presentation of the Fishes of Buck Creek. It truly is a great area.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users