orange spotted sunfish in IN.

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_baker46947_*

Guest_baker46947_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:44 AM

This coming year (14) I would like to find some orange spotted sunfish here in Indiana. Can anyone tell me were to look for these little gems. I recall seeing in the past that they are in the Tippecanoe river. But I'm not to sure on that information.

#2 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:09 PM

They are in the Tippecanoe River, but I never found very many, and where I looked they were rare.

I did a lot better in the Maumee River a little East of Fort Wayne.

#3 Guest_baker46947_*

Guest_baker46947_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:50 PM

Thanks, I will be looking forward to giving them both a try. And giving a report after the trip. Hoping to get this done in May.

#4 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

If you can't find them in IN, I can help out in southern IL. PM me for details.

#5 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

I did a lot better in the Maumee River a little East of Fort Wayne.

They're very common in the Maumee River in Ohio. Here's a picture of a seine haul from directly below the dam in Grand Rapids, OH.
Posted Image

^ That's just one scoop. :smile2:

But keep in mind, if you net them in Ohio, they must be released. Only sunfish caught via hook-and-line may be kept in Ohio.

#6 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:25 PM

Your O-Spots get so much larger than ours! The adults up here are typically 2 inches or so!

#7 Guest_drrusk33_*

Guest_drrusk33_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:18 PM

What are Indiana regulations on keeping Largemouth bass, crappie, bluegill, smallmouth bass, etc in a Native Aquarium? Do the fish need to be netted or can they be caught on a hook and kept to? Getting ready to start my Native tank and this is the hardest infromation to find.

#8 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:21 PM

Likely, without reading Indiana law( which should say plainly that gamefish can only be taken with hook and line) you can probably only keep specimens taken by hook and line. This is pretty much a blanket law in almost all states. It is however not our job here to educate you on your local laws. That falls on you. We have neither the resources nor the authority to tell anyone what is or isn't legal in a particular state. We could do more damage than good by advising individuals one way or another. The way that most of us do it is by doing a ton of research online, and if we cannot find the answers to our questions, then we call our state wildlife officials for clarification. I would advise you to take notes of any call made. Time, date, the name of who you spoke to etc. Talking to them may clarify things, but remember that they are not infallible. You may talk to several people and get different answers. Good luck.

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:08 PM

Hey, look here at some 2012 Indiana Fishing Regulations

http://www.in.gov/dn...s/fw-2012FG.pdf

I have never seen a state that comes out and says "you can keep fish in an aquarium" but these do...

Of course, they probably get revised every year... so find the current ones...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users